Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Anjum eyeing for World Cup win for India
Advertisement
New Delhi (PTI): After the 1983 World Cup victory and the Twenty20 triumph by the men's team, it is time for the women's to win the showpiece event now underway in Australia to complete "a hat-trick of titles" for the Indians, feels former captain Anjum Chopra.

"It would make us feel great, as winning always makes you feel good. The boys have done so well in recent events so if we are able to do something in our sport, it will complete a hat-trick, and it would give a great boost to women's cricket back home as well which is very important back home," said the veteran bats-woman.

"Winning a World Cup has always been a dream and if we are able to achieve it then it is going to be great but our next match is the most important," she said as her team prepares for the second group match against England in Sydney on Tuesday.

India began their campaign with a resounding ten-wicket victory over arch-rival Pakistan and Chopra was happy with their performance in the match.

"It was a good start for us and it always feels good to begin with a win and then keep that momentum going.

"My form is good and I got some runs in the practice games and remaining not out and getting the team to victory is always nice and I am looking forward to the next game."

On the England game, Chopra said, "The England game is an important one for us and whoever plays better cricket on that day will be victorious. I am looking forward to the match.

"Their batters have been doing well, but the whole England team have been doing well since last year. They are playing well as a unit. We know their players, they know us and everybody will be aware it is a World Cup game and you will be carrying points through to the Super Sixes.

"We ourselves know that we haven't done that well this year so we can't claim special treatment from anybody, but once you get to the World Cup there is always pressure and you have to deal with it. We are looking at one game at a time and then go from there."

On Jhulan Goswami's captaincy, Chopra said, "Jhulan is great – she is like a kid sister to me. We have played a lot of cricket together and she wears her heart on her sleeve and makes the point every time she comes out on the field that you have to give 100 per cent and get the best from your team."

On the personal front, Chopra was looking forward to contributing to the team's cause.

"It feels great to be part of the squad and if you can keep playing for India, the numbers keep piling on. We had a good World Cup as a team in South Africa last time and in New Zealand in 2000 and I want to continue that.

"Every time you play for India it is always a great feeling and I cherish that moment," she said.

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update: ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 - News/match updates/Results nairrk 92 3,608 07-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Indian Team for World Cup 2019 announced nairrk 0 680 04-15-2019, 06:41 PM
  Update: India Retain ICC Test Championship Mace ​Third Year Running nairrk 0 509 04-02-2019, 09:46 AM
  Update: Australia tour of India 2019 - News, Schedule & Score updates nairrk 15 1,662 03-14-2019, 07:17 AM
  Update: India tour of New Zealand, 2019 - Schedule/news & match updates nairrk 14 1,503 02-10-2019, 06:33 PM
  Update: India tour of Australia, 2018-19 - News/match updates nairrk 45 3,020 01-18-2019, 06:22 PM
  General News: Australia's limited-overs tour of India to start on February 24 nairrk 0 677 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM
  General News: Hockey World Cup 2018 - Full Fixture List/Results/Points Table nairrk 17 1,637 12-17-2018, 07:01 AM
  Update: India tour of Australia 2018-19 - News/ Match updates nairrk 19 1,568 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM
  General News: ICC Womens World T20 2018 - News & Match updates nairrk 11 1,466 11-25-2018, 08:32 AM