Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 30 Vote(s) - 2.1 Average
Breaking News : Sourav Ganguly to join Pune Warriors India
Advertisement
Toughest day of my cricketing career: Ganguly

Hyderabad, May 10 (IANS) After his much-awaited appearance for Pune Warriors, Sourav Ganguly said padding up for this season's Indian Premier League (IPL) was the 'toughest day' of his career and he took the field with 'zero confidence', not having picked up a bat for five months.

Ganguly, who initially went unsold at the players' auction, came in as a late replacement for Ashish Nehra. There was much speculation about Ganguly's IPL fate since the January auction which saw no franchise, including his home team Kolkata Knight Riders, showing interest in the former India captain.

As Ganguly walked out to bat against Deccan Chargers, one drop at the fall of Jesse Ryder, the packed stadium went up in a huge roar. He did no harm to his reputation and provided joy to his die-hard fans, scoring an unbeaten 32 off 32 balls with three fours and a trademark six, stepping out to clout leg-spinner Amit Mishra.

'I told people that probably it is going to be the toughest day of my career. I did not pick up the bat for five months after the auction and here I was playing Dale Steyn,' Ganguly said after Warriors beat Deccan Chargers by six wickets.

'I came into the match with zero confidence. The anticipation is not there in the field. Hopefully, I will get that back spending some time in the middle. Fielding will also get better.'

'So far it has been good,' he said when asked about how he felt out in the middle.

'I could not have played the match against Mumbai Indians because I joined the team the night before. I did not play the next match against Kings XI Punjab because I wanted to get ready for this match,' said Ganguly.

:happy:IF YOU LIKE THEN DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THANKS
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Ganguly wants to play in IPL for at least 4-5 years

Kolkata, (PTI): Former India captain Sourav Ganguly said he wants to play in the Indian Premier League for a few more years before looking at other cricketing assignments.

"I (would) like to play for some more years in IPL. May be after four or five years I will think about other option," Ganguly, who was initially unsold in the IPL auction but later played for Pune Warriers as a replacement player, said during an interaction with students.

The interaction was organised by the education fair "Eduquest" and Ganguly was asked if can be seen as a coach of the national team in near future.Asked about his most memorable Test match, Ganguly said "My first Test at Lords was the best for creating overall impact on my career. God was kind and after that I was destined to play for many years.""But in terms of quality the hundred in Australia was the best. 90 against South Africa at Kanpur was very good," the former India captain added.Among all the bowlers he faced, Ganguly felt Australian paceman Glenn McGrath was the most difficult. Among the Indian bowlers he thinks both Zaheer Khan and Javagal Srinath were very good.India's most successful Test captain advised the students to overcome tension to be successful.He mentioned one incident involving batting great Sachin Tendulkar, who before a Test match in Sydney during his early career remained awake almost the whole night as he was tense and was desperate to grab the chance.At the same time the little master remained focused about the job to be done and achieved success, Ganguly said. He also urged the students to face the pressure and get over it.

And the best way to do it is to work hard. Hard work never goes in vain, he said adding that "some players like Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara are very talented. But I and players like Virender Sehwag had to work hard to succeed."He also told the students to have a positive approach. "The day I went to bat thinking that my opponent bowlers won't be able to get me out, I did well and the day I thought that my rival bowler had a better swing or crafty I could not perform as expected," Ganguly explained.

:happy:IF YOU LIKE THEN DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THANKS
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update: India Retain ICC Test Championship Mace ​Third Year Running nairrk 0 467 04-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  Update: Australia tour of India 2019 - News, Schedule & Score updates nairrk 15 1,554 03-14-2019, 07:17 AM
  Update: India tour of New Zealand, 2019 - Schedule/news & match updates nairrk 14 1,412 02-10-2019, 06:33 PM
  Update: India tour of Australia, 2018-19 - News/match updates nairrk 45 2,818 01-18-2019, 06:22 PM
  General News: Australia's limited-overs tour of India to start on February 24 nairrk 0 642 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM
  Update: India tour of Australia 2018-19 - News/ Match updates nairrk 19 1,470 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM
  Update: West Indies tour of India - News/score updates nairrk 44 2,966 11-12-2018, 06:59 AM
  Update: India tour of England 2018 - Match schedule & score updates nairrk 48 3,855 09-12-2018, 07:01 AM
  General News: India To Play 2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3T20Is Against West Indies, Full Schedule Announced nairrk 0 771 09-05-2018, 10:47 AM
  Update: Sony India bets on Pro Volleyball League IDF Knight 0 694 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: IDF Knight