Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.06 Average
DTH News :  Australia Vs England - THE ASHES [Tests, T20 and ODI's]
Advertisement
England's Tour Of Australia 2010 - THE ASHES...

Fri Nov 5 - Sun Nov 7
02:30 GMT | 10:30 local
08:00 IST Western Australia v England XI
Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth

Thu Nov 11 - Sat Nov 13
23:30 GMT
(prev day) | 10:00 local
05:00 IST South Australia v England XI
Adelaide Oval

Wed Nov 17 - Sat Nov 20
(prev day) | 10:30 local
05:00 IST Australia A v England XI
Bellerive Oval, Hobart

Thu Nov 25 - Mon Nov 29
00:00 GMT | 10:00 local
05:30 IST 1st Test - Australia v England
Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane

Fri Dec 3 - Tue Dec 7
00:00 GMT | 10:30 local
05:30 IST 2nd Test - Australia v England
Adelaide Oval

Fri Dec 10 - Sun Dec 12
00:00 GMT | 11:00 local
05:30 IST Victoria v England XI
Melbourne Cricket Ground

Thu Dec 16 - Mon Dec 20
02:30 GMT | 10:30 local
08:00 IST 3rd Test - Australia v England

Sun Dec 26 - Thu Dec 30
05:00 IST 4th Test - Australia v England
Melbourne Cricket Ground

Mon Jan 3 - Fri Jan 7
05:00 IST 5th Test - Australia v England
Sydney Cricket Ground

Mon Jan 10
22:45 GMT
(prev day) | 09:45 local
04:15 IST Prime Minister's XI v England XI
Manuka Oval, Canberra

Wed Jan 12
08:35 GMT | 19:05 local
14:05 IST 1st T20I - Australia v England
Adelaide Oval

Fri Jan 14
08:35 GMT | 19:35 local
14:05 IST 2nd T20I - Australia v England
Melbourne Cricket Ground

Sun Jan 16
03:20 GMT | 14:20 local
08:50 IST 1st ODI - Australia v England
Melbourne Cricket Ground

Fri Jan 21
08:50 IST 2nd ODI - Australia v England
Bellerive Oval, Hobart

Sun Jan 23
08:50 IST 3rd ODI - Australia v England
Sydney Cricket Ground

Wed Jan 26
03:20 GMT | 13:50 local
08:50 IST 4th ODI - Australia v England
Adelaide Oval

Sun Jan 30
03:20 GMT | 13:20 local
08:50 IST 5th ODI - Australia v England
Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane

Wed Feb 2
08:50 IST 6th ODI - Australia v England
Sydney Cricket Ground

Sun Feb 6
03:20 GMT | 11:20 local
08:50 IST 7th ODI - Australia v England

Please post all News ,Updates and Scorecards in this Thread
[Image: izvqcn.jpg]

wIcKeD mEnTaLiTy
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
SOURCE: CricInfo

'I feel fantastic now' - Pietersen

England batsman Kevin Pietersen has said he is feeling "fantastic" after working on some technical and mental aspects of his game with coach Graham Ford during his time with the Natal Dolphins.

Before joining up with the England squad in Perth this weekend, Pietersen spent four weeks in South Africa attempting to regain his form, and while he managed to play just two first-class innings, scoring 36 and 0, he insisted the trip had been a positive and helpful experience.

"I feel fantastic now. I've had a lovely little break from the international circuit which has been very, very refreshing," Pietersen told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme. "I'm really, really excited about what could be one hell of an interesting and positive winter ahead."

"I put myself under a lot of pressure by going to South Africa knowing that every practice session and every hit I had would make headlines in the cricketing world but that's what I wanted to do because I know it's going to benefit me in the long run. Fordy's been somebody I've worked with throughout my life so it was amazing that I could go and spend two weeks with him and gather back that confidence and that free spirit."

"He knows me as a person. I haven't given a lot away about me as a person here, especially playing for England, but Fordy knows where I'm from, knows everything about me so he can talk to me in a very different way, more than anyone in this country probably apart from my brothers and my parents. He picked out one little thing that I haven't been doing in the last six months, since the Caribbean in the World Twenty20 and we worked on that little thing in particular.

Pietersen, who has not struck an international hundred since March 2009, hit out at the intense media attention given to his struggle for form ahead of England's defence of the Ashes in Australia. He empathised with footballer Wayne Rooney, who has also been the focus of negative publicity recently.

"I wasn't fed up with the scrutiny, I found it funny," he said. "The journalists get paid to make opinions and the punters have the right. But people don't realise we know as sportsmen if we're not playing well. We actually know as sportsmen if we are not playing well, if we are letting ourselves down or letting people down, so the more times that people hammer you about it, it doesn't really help.

"I look at the Rooney situation - he's getting killed every single day and it will definitely not be helping the lad and he shouldn't have to go to Dubai to get away from things. He should be supported. The man's a genius, he will be a legend of the game and he should be supported rather than be hammered about stuff."

Pietersen also insisted he would not be drawn into a war of words with the Australian camp before what is sure to be a keenly-contested Ashes series. Australian captain Ricky Ponting recently suggested that Pietersen "is a big question mark for them [England] at the moment" and that opener Alastair Cook and middle-order batsman Paul Collingwood would be "nervous" after their own struggles for form during a successful English summer.

"This is my fourth series against Australia," said Pietersen. "Every single time I have played against Australia, for the months leading up to it a lot of things are said which have absolutely no bearing after the first ball is bowled. I am not prepared to get involved. I'm not prepared to add any fuel to any fire that they might have started. I just want to go out and play some really tough, hard cricket and challenge myself against the Australians in Australia."

wIcKeD mEnTaLiTy
Thanks given by:
SOURCE: CricInfo

Australia need momentum for Ashes - Clarke

Australia must turn around their form in the three one-day internationals against Sri Lanka so they can enter the Ashes with some momentum, according to Michael Clarke. The Australians opened their home season with a demoralising seven-wicket loss to Kumar Sangakkara's men in Sunday's Twenty20 at the WACA, less than a month from the first Ashes Test.

It was Australia's first Twenty20 loss at home, and their fifth consecutive defeat across all formats, stretching back to July's Test series against Pakistan. That is hardly the form they want heading in to the battle to regain the urn and Clarke, who captained the Twenty20 outfit, said it was important to use the ODI series to change their fortunes.

"You want to win every game you play, in all three forms of the game," Clarke told reporters in Perth after the game. "I was told in the press conference we had won 10 out of 10 in this form of the game in Australia, so it is disappointing to lose our first Twenty20 game in Australia.

"It is important that we play good cricket and win these games against Sri Lanka to build momentum into the Test series against England. We need to improve, there is no doubt about it. We are not getting the results we would like in all three forms and we need to get better and keep working on our game, individually and as a team and keep working on the areas that aren't as good as they need to be."

Clarke opened the batting at the WACA and battled to 16 from 19 balls, which contributed to the team's below-par total. However, he was far from alone and it wasn't until Brad Haddin and Steven Smith combined for a counter-attacking sixth-wicket stand that the Australians began to find some touch.

"I thought it was the right decision for the team," Clarke said of opening alongside David Warner. "I made that decision, unfortunately we didn't score enough runs tonight. I felt good. Both Dave and I hit six balls in the first three overs out of the middle of the bat, but straight to the field, which was a little bit disappointing. If they find the gap we are off to a decent start."

Australia rested Michael Hussey and Mitchell Johnson, who instead turned out for Western Australia in a Sheffield Shield match at Adelaide Oval. It wasn't an enjoyable experience for Hussey, who made a golden duck, and the pair will rejoin the limited-overs squad for Wednesday's first ODI at the MCG.

wIcKeD mEnTaLiTy
Thanks given by:
Injury-hit Australia name 17 for Ashes

Sydney, Nov 15 (AFP) Australia named an outsized 17-man squad today as they battle injuries and poor form ahead of the crunch Ashes series against England, where they hope to halt a worrying slide down the Test rankings.

Selectors' chairman Andrew Hilditch said officials would watch this week's domestic and Australia A fixtures before trimming the party to 13 before the opening Test on November 25.

"It's a longer squad than normal primarily because we want to look at the next round of (Sheffield) Shield games and the Australia A clash (against England)," Hilditch said.

Star batsman Michael Clarke was retained as Ricky Ponting's vice-captain despite a flare-up of back problem, while there were surprise call-ups for batsman Usman Khawaja and left-arm finger-spinner Xavier Doherty.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/1113733_Inju...-for-Ashes
Free beer for all Australians if Ashes are won TongueWink

Sydney, Nov 16 (AP) An Australian brewery will provide a free beer for every adult in the country if the Australian cricket team wins the Ashes test series against England starting this month.

Team sponsor Carlton and United Breweries announced the promotion in Sydney on Tuesday at a launch attended by captain Ricky Ponting.

If Australia wins back the Ashes, the brewery will print vouchers in five Australian newspapers which can be redeemed for a bottle of its beer. The promotion could cost the brewer as much as 20 million Australian dollars.

The first test begins at Brisbane on November 25, with the final test in January. England has not won a series in Australia for 24 years, but has won its past two home Ashes series

http://www.ptinews.com/news/1117214_Free...es-are-won-

Australia squad:

Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, Marcus North, Brad Haddin (wk), Steven Smith, Mitchell Johnson, Xavier Doherty, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus, Doug Bollinger.

Factbox on the five venues

Factbox on the five venues for the Ashes Test cricket series between Australia and England which begins on Thursday:

BRISBANE (First Test, Nov. 25-29)

Ground: The Gabba (capacity 42,000)

Last England Test win: 1986-87 series

Many a confident England touring side have pitched up at the Gabba, named for the Woolloongabba suburb that surrounds it, only to come a cropper.

Steve Harmison`s horrendous first-ball delivery to second slip set the tone for the 2006-07 whitewash and England will be determined to avoid a bad start this time.

A lively, green top wicket is expected at first, offering pace and bounce for the seamers, with spin coming into play as an attacking option if it stays dry and the strip deteriorates later in the match.

ADELAIDE (Second Test, Dec. 3-7)

Ground: Adelaide Oval (32,000)

Last England Test win: 1994-95 series

One of the most picturesque cricket grounds in the world, the Adelaide Oval has usually offered one of the more batting-friendly surfaces in the series.

The flat pitch and high temperatures make for long, hard days for the quick bowlers so the spinners will be expected to give them frequent breaks and contribute a few wickets as well.

England`s Paul Collingwood hit a double century and Kevin Pietersen 158 in Adelaide on England`s last tour but Australia staged a sensational comeback to win the match.

PERTH (Third Test, Dec. 16-20)

Ground: WACA (20,000)

Last England Test win: 1978-79 series

The WACA (Western Australia Cricket Association) is the youngest and smallest of the venues and has a reputation as a wicket that pace bowlers love and batsmen fear.

The rock-hard wicket and blinding light can make for an intimidating time at the crease even if the pitch is not as quick as it once was.

The afternoon breeze, known locally as the Fremantle Doctor, helps the seamers and can also be of use to the spinners. England have won just once here in 11 Ashes Tests.

MELBOURNE (Fourth Test, Dec. 26-30)

Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) (100,000)

Last England Test win: 1998-99 series

Even in a sport steeped in history and tradition, a Boxing Day Ashes Test played out in front of 100,000 fans at one of the great cathedrals of the sporting world is something special.

The wicket used to be tricky on occasions but these days generally offers true bounce and a bit of pace, while it can take spin later in the match.

Mike Gatting`s side sealed England`s last Ashes victory in Australia at the MCG in 1986-87 and the tourists won again 12 years later.

SYDNEY (Fifth Test, Jan. 3-7)

Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) (46,000)

Last England Test win: 2002-03 series

The SCG ranks is one of the world`s most famous cricket grounds and this year will feature two huge, new video screens.

Even though the entire playing surface was re-turfed for the first time in a decade in September, it is still expected to offer the most spin-friendly wicket of the five venues.

This will be the Test that England`s Graeme Swann, and perhaps even back-up spinner Monty Panesar, will most look forward to, always assuming the series is not won or lost by then.

England`s most recent Test victory in Australia came at the SCG in 2003, one of only three since the last Ashes series victory by the tourists.

Thanks given by:
Lightbulb 
Collingwood bullish on England's Ashes chances

Veteran batsman Paul Collingwood says England's impressive buildup to the Ashes cricket series against Australia has given the team a "genuine belief" it can end almost 25 years of disappointment Down Under.

England arrived in Australia in possession of the Ashes and built on strong recent form by winning two and drawing one of its three warmup matches ahead of the first test starting in Brisbane on Nov. 25.

Collingwood said England, who were humiliated 5-0 on their previous Ashes series in Australia in 2006, now felt they had the experience, form and personnel to beat Australia in its own backyard.

England won its home Ashes series in 2005 and 2009 but hasn't won as Ashes series in Australia since the summer of 1986-87.

"This is the ultimate, the biggest kind of challenge that you can have as a cricketer," Collingwood said. "That's why we're so excited. We've been waiting a long time.

"To get the opportunity as a player is a great feeling. We have the belief and we are playing some very good cricket."

Australia hasn't lost a test in Brisbane since 1988-89 but Collingwood denied the weight of history was against the England team. The first test can often be critical to determining the trajectory of any Ashes series.

"(History) can have a positive effect on us because it is more of a challenge if you win at Brisbane," Collingwood said. "We've got a good mix of guys who have experienced Ashes in the past and there aren't mental scars, there is motivation to do well this time round."

"To me as a player I would be very happy if we won the Ashes in Australia. That would be a huge stepping stone on getting up to that number one (test) spot and it would put a big smile on my face."

While England's first test buildup has progressed smoothly, Australia's has been comparatively troubled. The omission of off-spinner Nathan Hauritz from its 13-man test squad on Saturday led to a new round of introspection and caused champion leg-spinner Shane Warne to call the Australian selectors "dumb".

But former Australia opening batsman Matthew Hayden, who was a key member of the team that whitewashed England in 2006, said Australia's misfiring preparation may ultimately work in its favor.

"You boys (in the media) have been hard on them and they will be feeling that, no question," Hayden said on Sunday. "But beware the wounded cricketer.

"You can't hide at the Gabba and Australia will be keen. They would have reformulated together as a unit, the speculation will be aside and it will be play on."

Australia's aging batting lineup has been under intense scrutiny in the leadup to the first test. The 54-test veteran Mike Hussey was under pressure to keep his place, but scored a century for Western Australia in the latest round of Sheffield Shield matches and was retained.

"It has been really good to see this week someone like Mike Hussey being under immense pressure and to bat for his career," Hayden said. "And you know what, he came through with the goods. He got a good hundred under pressure.

"And that is going to stand him in terrific stead come the first day of the Gabba test match. That's the edge we have over England who have had a bit of a sleepier start to their tour."

:happy:IF YOU LIKE THEN DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THANKS
Thanks given by:

Roles reversed as Ashes battle arrives

Match Facts

November 25, Brisbane
Start time 10:00 (00:00 GMT)

The Big Picture

The latest instalment of the 133-year Australia-England battle begins with one team trying to form unity out of disarray and the other hoping their perfect preparation turns into an Ashes win. In modern times it has been England who have had to agonise over injuries and form issues, but this time it is the hosts who have all the major issues.

Ricky Ponting's men start the series on a three-game Test losing streak, a sequence of results that hasn't occurred since 1988. That was also the year that Australia last lost at the Gabba. If England can re-write that part of history they will have a huge advantage over the rest of the series, which they only need to draw to keep hold of the urn.

England's tour has been incredible so far, with a couple of warm-up wins, including a strong performance against Australia A, and a draw. Almost all of their men are in form and their position has been so powerful that they sent their bowlers to Brisbane a few days early to acclimatise. If they have lost a bag in transit it would rate as their biggest setback.

The last time Australia lost the Ashes at home was in 1986-87, back when Ricky Ponting was 12 and Andrew Strauss was living in Victoria. Given the build-ups of the sides and the changes Australia have undergone, this is England's best chance for success. If they don't take it over the next seven weeks they will have to wait decades to run into their enemies at such a vulnerable stage.

Watch out for...

The destination of the Ashes almost relies on Mitchell Johnson's left hand. If he can bounce and frighten, and hurry and worry, England's batsmen then Australia will be more than halfway towards regaining the Ashes. If he is as loose as he was in the 2009 series, the locals will struggle to contain England's complementary batting order. The signs were good last week when he mixed a five-wicket haul with a century for Western Australia, but now he's back in the big time.

Stuart Broad was responsible for turning the Ashes last time and he carries the same power again. A bowler first, he is capable of bowling full for swing or changing his length to force the batsmen back. As a run-maker, he is strong and entertaining, and it is a shame his century against Pakistan at Lord's was sullied. His father Chris was responsible for lifting the urn in 1986-87, and the family name will never be forgotten in England if Broad can do it too.

Team news

Michael Clarke's back is the major worry for Australia but he has proved his fitness and Ponting does not consider him a risk. Peter Siddle will play his first Test since January after beating Doug Bollinger for the final bowling spot, and Xavier Doherty will make his debut. Usman Khawaja and Doug Bollinger are heading to Perth after the toss to play for New South Wales.

Australia 1 Simon Katich, 2 Shane Watson, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Clarke, 5 Michael Hussey, 6 Marcus North, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Xavier Doherty, 10 Peter Siddle, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus.

England have known their best XI for months and there will be no deviating unless someone trips over a sprinkler head, or slips in the nets. No touring team since the great West Indies outfits of the 1980s has been so assured before a series in Australia.

England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ian Bell, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Steven Finn.

Pitch and conditions
If the results of the Gabba this season are followed, the match won't last five days. The square remains soft from a spring of heavy rain, but the pitch is firm and a light shade of green. Showers are forecast throughout the game, with the cloud cover and extra moisture exciting the bowlers. Ben Hilfenhaus smiled broadly last night when he noticed it was raining. Add in the humidity and temperatures in the high 20s, and it's going to be a contest controlled by the fast men.

Stats and trivia
# This will be Ricky Ponting's eighth Ashes series but he barely makes it on to the list of most England-Australia matches. Ponting's 31 games sit well behind Syd Gregory (52), Allan Border (47), Steve Waugh (46) and Colin Cowdrey (43).

# The man at the ground with the most Ashes runs will be Graham Gooch, England's assistant coach. Gooch scored 2632 in 42 games, putting him in 11th spot, one ahead of Greg Chappell, Australia's new selector.

# In 321 Australia-England Tests, England have won 99 and lost 132. In Australia they have succeeded 54 times, and been defeated on 85 occasions.

# Anderson is the one visiting bowler who has played a Test in Australia before, but Trott and Prior are the only ones in the top seven who are on their Down Under debuts. Hilfenhaus has featured once at home, while Doherty has played a handful of domestic fixtures in Brisbane

Quotes
"A batting collapse probably had a big say in us losing the Ashes last time and we're very aware of the fact. We've spoken about it a lot, but sometimes the more you speak about things the harder they become."
Ricky Ponting on his side's recent tendency to lose wickets in big batches

"They've got their mind on just one thing, and that is the Ashes. They have done for two years now. They're definitely a side on the up." The former captain Nasser Hussain

Thanks given by:
1st Test -Australia / England.

England won the Toss and elected to bat.

Score: 86/2 (at Lunch)

A Cook 29*
K Pietersen 23*

men out:
AJ Strauss 0
IJL Trott 29

Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update: The Ashes 2019 - Schedule, news updates/Results nairrk 0 607 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  Update: Australia tour of India 2019 - News, Schedule & Score updates nairrk 15 1,423 03-14-2019, 07:17 AM
  Update: India tour of Australia, 2018-19 - News/match updates nairrk 45 2,587 01-18-2019, 06:22 PM
  General News: Australia's limited-overs tour of India to start on February 24 nairrk 0 610 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM
  Update: India tour of Australia 2018-19 - News/ Match updates nairrk 19 1,314 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM
  Update: India tour of England 2018 - Match schedule & score updates nairrk 48 3,599 09-12-2018, 07:01 AM
  General News: India To Play 2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3T20Is Against West Indies, Full Schedule Announced nairrk 0 742 09-05-2018, 10:47 AM
  General News: Raina replaces Rayudu for England ODIs nairrk 0 566 06-17-2018, 08:56 AM
  General News: Shaw, Gill picked in India A squads for England tour nairrk 0 548 05-08-2018, 07:40 PM
  General News: England displace India to claim No.1 spot in ODIs nairrk 0 603 05-03-2018, 07:37 AM