Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DTH News : Learn to differentiate real HD with upscaled HD
Advertisement
Be aware of the difference between upscaled HD and 100 per cent HD. The new mantra used by the DTH operators is High Definition (HD). Using catchy ads like “enjoy complete HD experience with revolutionary technology” or “first with 35 HD services” from Dish TV or “now get all 250 channels in HD” are the call of the day but there is a catch to the word “HD”. HD denotes two types of video quality: HD 100 per cent and SD/upscaled HD. SD is digital Standard Definition and is broadcast in 720 pixels × 480 lines in 16:9 aspect ratio and 720 pixels × 480 lines with 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas upscaled HD resolution is (1440 x1088i). Dish TV and Reliance are talking about upscaled material. This means that the source is SD, but upscaled (resized) to HD before broadcast. Upscaled HD is a better quality than SD, but is inferior to 100 per cent HD, which commonly involves a display resolution of 1,280 × 720 pixels (720p) or 1,920 × 1,080 pixels (1080i/1080p) and the contents are shot in HD.

The 35 channels and 250 channels advertised by some companies are not real HD but enhanced using an integrated digital technology process. It enhances the original SD resolution 10-times over in order to achieve what the DTH pay-TV operators refer to as HD. Discovery HD World, National Geographic HD, Travel XP HD are 100 per cent HD, whereas D HD, ESPN HD, Movies Now, Star cricket HD, Ten Sports HD, Zee TV HD, Zee cinema HD are mostly offer upscaled HD and, it’s only when they have full HD content that they transmit 100 per cent HD.

Source
:happy:IF YOU LIKE THEN DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THANKS
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Upscaling

Definition: Upscaling is a process that mathematically matches the pixel count of the output of a standard or non-hi-def signal (such as standard DVD) to the physical pixel count on an HDTV, which is typically 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i or 1080p).

720p represents 1,280 pixels displayed across the screen horizontally and 720 pixels down the screen vertically. This arrangement yields 720 horizontal lines on the screen, which are, in turn, displayed progressively, or each line displayed following another.

1080i
represents 1,920 pixels displayed across a screen horizontally and 1,080 pixels down a screen vertically. This arrangement yields 1,080 horizontal lines, which are, in turn, displayed in two successive fields of 540 lines (interlaced scan).

1080p represents 1,920 pixels displayed across a screen horizontally and 1,080 pixels down a screen vertically. This arrangement yields 1,080 horizontal lines, which are, in turn, displayed progressively.
:happy:IF YOU LIKE THEN DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THANKS
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DTH News: Learn To Differenciate HD greatsadiq 1 1,394 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Last Post: nairrk