Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.92 Average
Dish TV planning to launch CAM
Advertisement
Quote:Direct to home service (DTH) provider Dish TV is planning to launch conditional access modules (CAM) which will allow consumers owning set-top-box of other operators to switch to Dish TV’s feed of television channels, a person from a broadcast company with knowledge of the development said.

CAM is a small gadget than can be inserted in the set-top-box and enables the consumers to shift from one DTH service provider to another without buying a new set top box. DTH players currently subsidise the set-top-box to get on board a new subscriber hoping to make money over a longer period through monthly fees. “Dish TV hopes to grab new subscribers at lower cost from rival companies through this strategy,” said the same person.

The key to its success will be how the CAMs are priced. Details of the price point at which Dish TV is going to sell the CAMs is still under wraps. A Dish TV spokeswoman did not respond to ET’s queries. The government has been pushing for interoperability of set-top-boxes for receiving DTH signals to give choice to consumers. Under the licensing norms for DTH service providers, its mandatory for them to provide ‘technical interoperability’ whereby a consumer need not buy another set-top-box and equipment to switch to other operators.

As per Trai’s regulations, every set-top-box sold by a DTH service provider should be CAM compliant or have an empty space where the gadget can be inserted.

Details Here
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
This could also be disadvantageous for Dish tv as customers may move out of Dish tv services. TRAI intends promoting competition with interoperable STB's.
Thanks given by:
Its not like that,A DISH TV customer only need to buy the CAM.no need to buy the STB he can use it in any DTH stb or any CAM INTIGRATED FTA STB.so it will surely benefit the user and DISH TV.user can watch DISH TV programs in TATA SKY stb,so a subscriber has less money to invest.if other DTH players also provides the CAM it will be very good for us.
i had to buy 2nd set of DISH TV ,my TS stb is useless now.if they had provided CAM early my investments would be less.
Thanks given by:
gr8 move
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2010, 01:35 PM)Mr.Bhat Wrote: Its not like that,A DISH TV customer only need to buy the CAM.no need to buy the STB he can use it in any DTH stb or any CAM INTIGRATED FTA STB.so it will surely benefit the user and DISH TV.user can watch DISH TV programs in TATA SKY stb,so a subscriber has less money to invest.if other DTH players also provides the CAM it will be very good for us.
i had to buy 2nd set of DISH TV ,my TS stb is useless now.if they had provided CAM early my investments would be less.

but cam rate is equivalent to stb rate.so it is better to buy a new stb instead of cam
try to findout ur own destiny
Thanks given by:
It cant be same ,if its same most of them wont buy,
Thanks given by:
Yes the rates are almost near the rates of STB's there are discussion going on about its prices it needs to come down to an affordable rate.
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DTH News: Dish TV shifts manufacturing of Set-top boxes to India nairrk 0 786 09-16-2020, 01:55 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  DTH Updates: ABP News Static Plate (Data) channel added on Dish TV India Sathish 0 186 08-10-2020, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Sathish
  DTH Updates: FOX life HD- Rs 1 (TV) channel shifted frequency on Dish TV India Sathish 0 172 08-10-2020, 11:42 AM
  DTH Updates: LIVE LIFE SHATAYUPATHY channel removed from 3 slots on Dish TV India Sathish 0 187 08-10-2020, 11:40 AM
  DTH Updates: Korean Drama Active- Rs 40 channel added on Dish TV India on 04-08-2020 Sathish 0 220 08-04-2020, 07:40 AM
  DTH Updates: 16 channels added on Dish TV India on SES 8 Sathish 0 267 08-01-2020, 06:16 PM
  DTH Updates: 12 New channels namely Non ST2 to ST2 added on Dish TV India Sathish 0 241 07-30-2020, 11:28 PM
  DTH Updates: 11 channels removed from Dish TV India on NSS6/SES8 as on 27-07-2020 Sathish 0 270 07-27-2020, 10:34 AM
  Breaking News: 12 channels removed from Dish TV India on NSS6/SES8 as on 25-07-2020 Sathish 0 262 07-25-2020, 10:50 PM
  DTH Updates: Sun TV HD, Gemini TV HD & Bhojpuri Active Channels removed on Dish TV India Sathish 0 247 07-24-2020, 10:05 PM