Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General News Google Allo launched, a smart messaging app to take on WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger
Advertisement

Google has today launched its ‘Allo’ smart messaging app, after having unveiled it at I/O 2016 earlier this year. The Allo app has been launched about a month after Google rolled out the Duo video chatting app. With Allo, Google is essentially taking on the likes of WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger by using AI to make the messaging app smarter.

Allo doesn’t really replace the Hangouts chatting app, but is a standalone app that is deeply integrated with Google Assistant. The company has said that the likes of Duo and Allo are more consumer-centric apps, while Hangouts is focused more at enterprises. Google Allo brings in a host of other features like WhisperShout, Ink, end-to-end encryption, and incognito mode among others. One of the talking points however is the app’s smart capabilities. When chatting, the AI monitors the topic of conversation and suggests replies that can be sent with just a tap. Google also says that the app’s image recognition system is nearly 90 percent accurate, and the app will also prompt replies based on the image shared by your friend. So for example, if your friend sends a photo of a dog or a baby, the app will suggest replies like ‘So cute’ and more.

The integration with Google Assistant is another of the app’s highlights, which basically lets you search for something within the app itself. For example, if you are chatting about having Italian dinner, Google Assistant will show up restaurant options. All this can be done by simply typing ‘@google’. This feature is really helpful as it takes away the need to switch between apps.

The WhisperShout feature, as the name suggests, lets users change the size of the text in order to express their emotions better. When you type a word, there is a slider on the right side that lets you drag a finger up or down to increase or decrease the size of the text. The other feature Ink seems inspired by Snapchat and lets users doodle over photos.

One of the best features of Allo is that it doesn’t require you to use your Google account to sign up to use the app. All you need is the phone number, and you are ready to start using the app. Allo is also big on security and comes with end-to-end encryption. But the encryption seems to only work when chatting in incognito mode. Like the Google Chrome browser, this mode lets you have a private chat with your friends, and all the messages will be deleted after you exit the chat. The incognito mode also comes with private notifications. You can head over to the Google Play Store or the App Store to download the Allo app for free.

Source:
Advertisement
Google Allo first impressions: It is all about the smarts

Allo? Is anybody there? It has been a pretty lonely week for me trying out Google’s Allo, which just launched today, Despite not having many users (Google shared only a handful of review invites — one for every publication), Allo has managed to impress me with its smarts. Allo is Google’s take on what a smart communication app should be about. I have been using Allo for almost a week now and here are my first impressions.

The thing about messaging apps is it doesn’t matter how many cool features are available. Instead, it is all about where the users are and you would still end up using the service where your friends, family and everyone else that you talk to are present. That’s the only reason why WhatsApp has remained so popular, despite not having many cool features like stickers, pokes and what not. It was one of the first off the block, simple messaging service for the mobile-first era and it continues to dominate the space.

And that is going to be a big challenge for Google, like any other player trying to gain foothold in the mobile messaging space. With Allo, Google is looking to provide a frictionless messaging experience. All you need is your mobile number on which it sends a verification code and click a selfie to set as your profile photo. You don’t need to have a Google account to set up Allo.

You can start a chat with anyone else in your contacts who also is on Allo or start a chat with Google Assistant, which is almost like having a conversation with Siri but over text messages, which is exactly what I ended up doing mostly during the pre-launch test period. You can play games, ask trivia, get information, or even ask Google Assistant to send you periodic information — like weather updates, news and so on. But it also takes the role of a real assistant within conversations and that, in my books is what makes Allo special.

Imagine this, you are having a conversation with someone about catching up and that person suggests a restaurant. Rather than having to go to Google or Zomato to check the restaurant, an assistant automatically prompts you with a link to the restaurant, which you can quickly open and check out. Well, this is not a simulation and Google Assistant did exactly that during one of my conversations. It is simply brilliant.

There are other things that Google Assistant can do, like prompt you with smart replies that you can simply click and send across. But it is quite mechanical right now and you can mostly figure out whether it was a smart reply or not. But Google says it would get better over time as it learns how you type and respond to messages. Well, if Google and others working on machine learning have their way, soon it would be bots chatting on our behalf.

Then there are the usual sticker packs and Google has partnered with some local Indian artists to have India-specific stickers. These are pretty neat and could add color to your conversations but that’s something almost every messenger app apart from WhatsApp (irony alert) has. You can either whisper (smaller text font size) or shout (larger text font size) by sliding up and down on the send button. You can scribble on photos (only on Android right now and coming to iOS soon) and do a bunch of other regular stuff too.

Then there is the big question about privacy, which in this case, I feel is overblown. In Allo, regular chats are not end-to-end encrypted for Google Assistant to function. End-to-end encryption means that no one else apart from sender or receiver can read the content, which is encrypted and decrypted directly on the device. For Google Assistant to work, it needs to be able to read your chats. If that spooks you out, there is an incognito mode that’s end-to-end encrypted and where you can even set a timer for when the message should be deleted. But you won’t be able to use Google Assistant then, which in my opinion, defeats the entire purpose of using Allo.

It is too early to say whether Allo will be able to gain any traction. My test user group was full of tech savvy people who are early adopters and are itching to take a go at every new app or service. The million dollar question is whether Google can excite regular users to download a new messaging app and use it. And that is something no journalist can predict. I would say it is certainly worth using and you will be blown off with what the Google Assistant can do.

Source:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: WhatsApp to stop working on these Android, iOS devices: Check full list nairrk 0 247 12-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: WhatsApp users will have to accept the new privacy policy or delete their account nairrk 0 344 12-04-2020, 02:55 PM
  General News: WhatsApp Disappearing Messages feature now available in India: How to use it on Android, iOS nairrk 0 282 11-24-2020, 07:20 AM
  General News: Whatsapp to soon introduce the ability to mute videos before sending, posting nairrk 0 293 11-20-2020, 07:46 AM
  General News: WhatsApp adds a Shopping Button inside WhatsApp Business Chats nairrk 0 258 11-11-2020, 07:48 AM
  General News: WhatsApp Bulk Delete Feature released: How to use it? nairrk 0 250 11-04-2020, 12:21 PM
  General News: WhatsApp disappearing messages soon to become reality nairrk 0 230 11-03-2020, 10:35 AM
  General News: WhatsApp gets a new feature that lets users mute a chat forever nairrk 0 254 10-26-2020, 07:38 AM
  General News: How to stop WhatsApp images and videos from getting stored in phone memory? nairrk 0 251 10-13-2020, 06:58 PM
  General News: New feature in Google Maps will show landmarks nairrk 0 237 10-02-2020, 11:51 AM