Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.24 Average
General News Google Earth 6 Adds 3D Trees, Better Street View
Advertisement

Google has just released Google Earth 6, the latest major version of the 3D mapping software. The new release comes with plenty of updates, notable among which are 3D trees, better Street View integration and easier to spot historical imagery.

"Today we’re introducing the latest version of Google Earth, our interactive digital atlas. Now you can explore your childhood home, visit distant lands or scope out your next vacation spot with even more realistic tools," Peter Birch, Product Manager at Google, wrote.

"In Google Earth 6, we’re taking realism in the virtual globe to the next level with two new features: a truly integrated Street View experience and 3D trees. We’ve also made it even easier to browse historical imagery," he added.

One new feature that Google is touting is 3D trees. If you though 3D buildings from around the world was quite a feat, this takes it to a whole other level.

Tens of species of trees have been modeled for Google Earth and show up in several cities around the world where the actual trees would be.

Google Earth 6 has 3D trees
Enlarge picture
Google says it has 'planted' 80 million trees in Earth so far, in big cities such as Athens, Berlin, Chicago, New York City, San Francisco and Tokyo, and is working with several groups to add more.

Another addition in Google Earth 6 is the better integrated Street View. While Street View imagery has been available in Google Earth for the past couple of years, it is now a full part of the experience.

You can start with a global view of the Earth and then zoom in to the rooftop level. Until now, this is as far as you could go, but in Google Earth 6, providing there is Street View data for that location, zooming in closer will get you to the street level. You can then move around using your keyboard and mouse.

Finally, another big feature in Google Earth 6 is the better highlighted historical imagery. While the images have been introduced in Google Earth 5, there was no easy way to know if this type of images were available for a particular location.

Now, the date of the oldest image for any spot is highlighted and a simple interface enables you to travel back in time as well as in space with Google Earth.
SP
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
in my finding, google routing is not the best (not commenting about earth 6), but whatever available presently.

Last week, I drove to Cochin Airport and back (650kms up/down). almost 75% route known to me but therafter I wanted some assistance. I have the Mapmyindia GPS which I activated from the starting point. It was guiding properly (with voice direction) except those place where police change the route due to traffic alteration. After midway point, I just checked the route on my Blackberry which has got Google map installed. To my surprise, google map direction/routing is entirely different than of what the MMI GPS showing (in the past I have used GPS, so am confident about this device).At one pont the GPS directed one route whereas the Google indicated another route. We got down at that point and checked with the local shop for the correct route. The guy shown the route which is the same as shown by the GPS. The google indicated route was different/more distance and it takes to small byelanes/panchayat roads etc.
I followed the Gps routing and reached the spot without any dancing on the road.
I am not saying google is wrong, but this is what happened to me. Also heard someone who was driving from chennai to Trivandrum, the google routed some forest route after Madurai, instead of coming straight to Tirunelveli,Nagercoil, Trivandrum !!!
Big Grin
Google Earth integrates Street View's 3D maps

Berlin: By combining two services, Google has now made it possible to pick points on the globe, look at them from outer space, and then zoom all the way in for a street-level view.

Google has done this by pulling its Street View out of browsers and integrating it with Google Earth. The combination will be available with the new version 6 of Google Earth, reported the company in its blog.

Until now, Earth's global perspective allowed people to view continents and countries with satellite imagery, while Street View allows detailed views of cities, streets and residential areas. The images for View were obtained by cars that travelled around the world with special round-view cameras mounted on top.

Unlike Street View, which can be accessed via a browser, Google Earth has to be installed as a separate programme. But now, once that's done, people can head from a virtual outer space view all the way down to the front door of a house. Google says the transition will be seamless.

Of course, Street View isn't available for every house on Earth. For cities that haven't been catalogued yet, the new Google Earth can only zoom in to an aerial city view.

The new Google Earth also includes historical maps - a bombed-out post-war London, for example. Additionally, it has integrated 3D models of trees, meaning people touring virtual cities can also check out the foliage and take a walk around it.

Google says it has "dozens" of kinds of trees it can recreate digitally and that more than 80 million of them have already been added to Google Earth. Images from Street View are used to help decide where to put the trees and what kind of trees to install.

The new version of Earth is available for PCs using at least the XP system. Mac users need to have at least the Leopard 10.5.0 operating system installed. It is also available in Linux. The standard version of Earth remains free.

Google has been trying for years to create an ever more detailed image of the world, digitalising the Earth with a combination of satellite images, pictures, geodata, user entries, webcams, municipal documents and more.

But this collection of data for its own ends has put Google in the cross hairs of data privacy experts. The company earns most of its money from online advertising.

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/Goo...-sid-.html
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Google Drive to delete trashed files after 30 days from October 13 nairrk 0 56 Yesterday, 03:26 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Google Duo makes its debut on Android TV: Check details, how it works nairrk 0 75 09-13-2020, 06:04 PM
  General News: Zoom adds two-factor authentication to its app nairrk 0 87 09-11-2020, 06:09 PM
  Update: Google bans six apps on Play Store nairrk 0 107 09-02-2020, 06:55 PM
  General News: Google Maps Saved tab can now help people identify, remember places they often visit nairrk 0 99 08-29-2020, 08:07 AM
  General News: Google announces updates to Google Assistant Snapshot nairrk 0 123 08-28-2020, 06:44 PM
  General News: How to Use Google Docs in Offline Mode nairrk 0 121 08-28-2020, 02:26 PM
  General News: Google Play music to be discontinued nairrk 0 114 08-22-2020, 07:38 AM
  General News: Google Maps To Become More Accurate And Visually Appealing With New Update nairrk 0 111 08-19-2020, 06:17 PM
  General News: Google Assistant now allow users to send audio messages to their contacts nairrk 0 90 08-19-2020, 01:08 PM