Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General News Justin Langer named Australia head coach
Advertisement

Justin Langer has been appointed as the new head coach of the Australian cricket team, Cricket Australia announced on Thursday (May 3). The former international, who has been appointed for a four-year term, will coach the senior men's side across formats.

Langer replaces Darren Lehmann in the top job and will take charge on May 22.

Langer has prior coaching experience, having been in charge of Western Australia and BBL franchise Perth Scorchers since November 2012. He's been at the helm with Scorchers winning the T20 league on three occasions, the most of any coach, in 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2016-17. He's also led the Warriors to One-Day Cup titles twice, in 2014-15 and 2017-18.

Langer has also been involved in the Australian men's set-up on multiple occasions previously. He's twice been the assistant coach on an interim basis, in an ODI Tri-Series in the Caribbean in 2016, and in a T20 International Series on home soil against Sri Lanka in 2017. Prior to that, Langer served as the assistant coach for three years from November 2009, before taking up head coaching roles with WA and Scorchers.

Langer represented Australia in 105 Test matches and eight ODIs. He scored 7696 Test runs - including 23 centuries - and was an integral member of the Australian team during one of the most successful eras of all time.

Langer takes over when Australia are going through troubled times with its captain and vice-captain duo of Steve Smith and David Warner, along with Cameron Bancroft, serving bans for their involvement in a deliberate ball-tampering attempt in South Africa. Lehamann announced his decision to quit shortly after the tainted players were handed their suspensions and sent back home ahead of the fourth and final Test of the series.

James Sutherland, Cricket Australia CEO, however said Langer was always being seen as a successor to Lehmann "for some time".

"We are thrilled to appoint Justin as Head Coach of the Australian Men's Cricket Team," Sutherland, said. "Whilst Darren Lehmann was not due to complete his term until next year, we have had a succession plan in place for this role for some time.

"In addition to professional development opportunities, this plan has included several coaches stepping into the head role to relieve Darren at times, and to also provide support roles, including Justin, and forms part of our long running succession planning process. The plan has allowed us to consider several worthy candidates, but Justin was the clear standout, particularly based on his recent coaching and player development achievements.

"We firmly believe Justin is the right person to lead this team and have huge confidence in what he will bring to the role. Justin's work ethic, leadership and values are among his strongest attributes - and he is widely respected across the global cricket community," concluded Mr Sutherland.

Speaking on his appointment, Langer, said: "It is humbling to be appointed as coach of the Australian Men's Cricket Team.

"I would like to thank the Western Australian Cricket Association and the Perth Scorchers for their support over the past six seasons, and for giving me the opportunity to lead and work with two great teams and many exceptional people.

"I am very excited about the scope I now have to coach the country that supported me so much in my cricketing career. There will be some significant challenges ahead for our group, but there is a wealth of talent in Australian cricket that I know will do us all proud.

"I'm thoroughly looking forward to working with all players, as we strive for a successful men's team across all formats, with the support and respect of the Australian public," he concluded.

Source:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update: Australia tour of India 2019 - News, Schedule & Score updates nairrk 15 643 03-14-2019, 07:17 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  Update: India tour of Australia, 2018-19 - News/match updates nairrk 45 1,463 01-18-2019, 06:22 PM
  General News: Australia's limited-overs tour of India to start on February 24 nairrk 0 342 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM
  Update: India tour of Australia 2018-19 - News/ Match updates nairrk 19 674 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM
  General News: Arjun Tendulkar named in U19 squad for Sri Lanka tour nairrk 0 500 06-07-2018, 08:01 PM
  General News: Hardik, Karthik named in ICC World XI for Windies T20I at Lord's nairrk 0 447 05-03-2018, 07:25 PM
  General News: Zimbabwe to host Australia, Pakistan for T20 tri-series in July nairrk 0 465 04-11-2018, 02:00 PM
  General News: Bhuvneshwar, Bumrah named in new A+ category of BCCI pay grade nairrk 0 511 03-07-2018, 06:52 PM
  Update: Australia tour of India 2017 - Fixtures, News & Score updates nairrk 23 1,645 10-14-2017, 07:10 AM
  General News: No room for Australia, New Zealand in Asian Games: OCA chief nairrk 0 700 09-20-2017, 09:41 AM