Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General News Why Azhar Always Had His Collar Up While Playing
Advertisement
Azhar was one of India's most successful Test captains. The Hyderabadi was known for his stylish batting as well as his mannerisms on a cricket pitch

[Image: mohammad-azharuddin-old-.jpg?downsize=76...format=jpg]
Mohammad Azharuddin was India's one of the most successful yet controversial captains.
AFP
Highlights
  • 1Azhar reveals why he always had his collar up
  • 2Azhar now has a film named after him
  • 3Azhar played 99 Tests for India
Mohammed Azharuddin lived his life as a cricketer and a moderately successful politician. Azhar, now in the spotlight for a biopic named after him, was one of India's most successful Test captains who had a style of his own on and off the field.
The 53-year-old Azhar emerged from a middle-class and orthodox Hyderabadi family. He made a stunning arrival to Test cricket, slamming centuries in each of his first three Tests against England in 1984-85.
Azhar was known for stylish batting, especially his leg-side flicks that drew comparison with the great Greg Chappell and Zaheer Abbas. A gifted fielder, who made the wristy flick throws from cover point a trademark, Azhar was clearly a man conspicuous by his swagger and mannerisms.
His collar-up demeanour, now a fashion across cricket fields and even garments, caught the eye of all.
Was it all about arrogance of a man who defied the odds and was caught in various personal controversies, including a divorce and marriage to model-actress Sangeeta Bijlani?
Just like his classy and smooth leg-side shots, Azhar has a simple answer.
"While fielding at point, I used to have problems in my neck skin because of the exposure to the sun. Hence, I decided to raise my collar as protection and it became a habit," Azhar told Radio Channel fever 104 FM.
Azhar also made the white helmet famous. At a time when not many would wear a helmet and brave it out in the middle, Azhar wore a white one.
"I had a liking for white helmet since we used it a lot during playing Tests. And since there was no compulsion of using a blue helmet, I played with a white one," Azhar told the radio channel.
Azhar was known for his fondness for wrist watches and cars.
Due to the match-fixing controversy, Azhar was denied the honour of playing a 100 Tests. His 99th Test was equally dramatic.

http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/2584...le-playing
Thanks given by: avtarkaint
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Pakistan pick Umar Akmal, Azhar Ali for Champions Trophy nairrk 0 369 04-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Chances of playing Champions Trophy are slim: KL Rahul nairrk 0 440 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  Sourav is the best Indian captain: Azhar Kanwar 0 671 04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Kanwar
  Intikhab praises Pak squad for 'playing as a unit' during 2011 World Cup Kanwar 1 853 04-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Last Post: samanth
  Help: 'It's a lot easier playing for your country than for your state' greatsadiq 0 609 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Last Post: greatsadiq
  India sets record of playing most number of ODIs KRISHNASAGAR 1 956 06-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Arjun
  BCCI may lift ban on Azhar Sathish 0 710 11-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Sathish
  There is more pressure in playing for India: Somdev Sathish 0 909 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
  I'll continue as long as I enjoy playing: Tendulkar N.T.Pandian 0 611 03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Last Post: N.T.Pandian
  IPL releases list of final playing squads Sathish 0 647 03-13-2009, 05:02 PM