Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Golf, Rugby to be part of 2016 Olympics
Advertisement
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session has voted that Golf and Rugby sevens be included in the 2016 Olympics that is to be held in Rio de Janeiro.

Following an evaluation by the Olympic Programme Commission of the seven sports seeking to enter the Olympics, the two sports were recommended by the IOC Executive Board (EB) in August.

Says IOC president Jacques Rogge, "Both Golf and Rugby are very popular sports with global appeal and a strong ethic. They will be great additions to the Games.

"The two sports, voted on separately in alphabetical order of the sports, Golf then Rugby, received a simple majority of votes cast by the members of the session. The result of the first vote was not revealed to the session until the vote for the second sport were taken.

International Golf Federation Secretary General Peter Dawson says, “The International Golf Federation is absolutely delighted by today’s results. We thank the IOC for the thorough process and are looking forward to playing our part as a member of the Olympic Movement. This is great for golf and we hope to be of great benefit to the Olympic Games as well.”

Says International Rugby Board president Bernard Lapasset, “I am so delighted and proud. My thanks to the IOC members for their wonderful support. Rugby is honoured to be a part of the Olympic Sports Programme and we are already looking forward to Rio 2016.”

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
(10-13-2009, 07:03 PM)Mr.Bhat Wrote:
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session has voted that Golf and Rugby sevens be included in the 2016 Olympics that is to be held in Rio de Janeiro.

Following an evaluation by the Olympic Programme Commission of the seven sports seeking to enter the Olympics, the two sports were recommended by the IOC Executive Board (EB) in August.

Says IOC president Jacques Rogge, "Both Golf and Rugby are very popular sports with global appeal and a strong ethic. They will be great additions to the Games.

"The two sports, voted on separately in alphabetical order of the sports, Golf then Rugby, received a simple majority of votes cast by the members of the session. The result of the first vote was not revealed to the session until the vote for the second sport were taken.

International Golf Federation Secretary General Peter Dawson says, “The International Golf Federation is absolutely delighted by today’s results. We thank the IOC for the thorough process and are looking forward to playing our part as a member of the Olympic Movement. This is great for golf and we hope to be of great benefit to the Olympic Games as well.”

Says International Rugby Board president Bernard Lapasset, “I am so delighted and proud. My thanks to the IOC members for their wonderful support. Rugby is honoured to be a part of the Olympic Sports Programme and we are already looking forward to Rio 2016.”

Hello Everyone, I m rushal and read this post i like to raed the information of golf. can you tell me more information about golf as like how to learn the golf and where is the best place to play golf. My friend tell me. spain and the costa del sol is the best place to play golf and learn about. and he suggest me go to spain and spaend the golf holiday in spain.

thanks.
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Golf: Shubhankar Sharma wins Malaysia title after stunning final round nairrk 0 697 02-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Paris to stage 2024 Summer Olympics; Los Angeles gets 2028 edition: Reports nairrk 0 583 08-01-2017, 07:32 AM
  Update: ISL 2016 - Fixtures, Updates, Results & Points Table nairrk 63 3,771 12-19-2016, 07:27 AM
  General News: Junior Hockey World Cup 2016: India Beat Belgium 2-1 to Clinch Title nairrk 0 611 12-18-2016, 08:03 PM
  General News: Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Trump Pakistan 3-2 To Win Second Title nairrk 0 768 10-31-2016, 07:34 AM
  Update: Kabbadi World Cup 2016 - Match updates/Results & Points Table nairrk 16 1,738 10-23-2016, 07:28 AM
  General News: AFC Cup 2016: Bengaluru FC creates history by reaching final nairrk 0 743 10-20-2016, 10:29 AM
  General News: 2016 Kabaddi World Cup India: Groups, teams, favourites, schedule nairrk 3 1,201 10-08-2016, 07:41 AM
  Update: Celebrity Badminton League (CBL) 2016: News & Match updates nairrk 1 892 09-24-2016, 02:50 PM
  General News: Rio Paralympics 2016: Mariyappan Thangavelu Wins Gold in Men's High Jump nairrk 0 639 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM