Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Govt will extend all help to IPL: Chidambaram
Advertisement
Hyderabad: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said here that the government will try to help the Indian Premier League overcome all issues in holding matches.

The debate over whether the second edition of the IPL could be held along side the general elections have almost reached a crescendo with sources also indicating that the IPL governing council could move the matches to a foreign location.

Chidambaram, however, said that it was the Indian Premier League and "it will be played in India."

Taking questions during a press conference here, Chidambaram said: "I did not say IPL should be postponed.

"IPL and election schedules are overlapping. I don't blame the IPL management at all. They finalised their dates earlier. But once the election commission announced the election dates on Monday, I saw that the election and IPL schedules were completely overlapping."

The Minister said that the "IPL has come up with another schedule now after I asked them to. We will try to help the IPL to the overcome all issues in holding matches."

Chidambaram added that some rescheduling of IPL matches "seems unavoidable", but "the government is ready to help as much as it can".

On the terror attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore on Tuesday, Chidambaram said, "we feel sorry. we condemn it. Even if it was on Pakistan players, we would have condemned it.

"Cricket must be played in India; cricket is always safe in India. We will ensure safety when the matches are played," the Home Minister added.

Chidambaram was on a visit to Hyderabad on Friday as part of his security review of every state ahead of the general elections.

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Help: Govt may seek sacked IPL chief Modi's deportation nairrk 0 858 03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  Maharashtra govt to seek Bharat Ratna for Sachin Mr.Bhat 0 951 02-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Govt sanctions Rs 80 crore for Commonwealth Games security Sathish 1 1,213 07-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Rdev
  IPL could have been held in India: Chidambaram Sathish 0 727 04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sathish
  IPL moves out of India; BCCI blames govt Sathish 2 1,033 03-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Last Post: vln_arun
  IPL can go for a toss, Govt won't let it hit elections Sathish 0 661 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
  Delhi CM keen on IPL in Delhi, appeals to Chidambaram Sathish 0 825 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
  Mukesh Ambani bats for IPL with Chidambaram Sathish 0 731 03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
  Ambani calls on Chidambaram over IPL? Sathish 0 709 03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
  IPL hits another roadblock, Govt to take final call Sathish 0 872 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM