Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Doordarshan (DD) aims 600 channels by DVB-T2 transmission
Advertisement
hi freind you watch 600 hundred channel without stb go this link

Attached the PDF copy of the article.

.pdf   Hindustan Times e-Paper - Hindustan Delhi (Hindi) - 25 Sep 2013 - Page #1.pdf (Size: 237.87 KB / Downloads: 245)
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Hi Satish,
I am getting this error "Error Your confirmation code is not valid." on the link.
Can you post a screen shot of the article if possible?

By the way, without a Set-Top Box a Colour TV can receive maximum 106 channels in VLF, VHF, Mid, S, Hyper and UHF band. So how could it be possible?
Thanks given by:
Here is the SS of the article.

Mr.Vinay, Can you please translate few important points in this article to English, So for many it will be useful to understand.
Thanks given by:
Yes sure Sathish, Thanks for the screenshot, I am going through the entire article and will translate the content from Hindi to English rightaway.
Thanks given by:
Ok, So here is what the article is all about:
Doordarshan, the popular public service broadcaster with wide reach across India through various modes like Analog Terrestrial and Digital Satellite, will be using DVB-T2 (Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial 2) the newest transmission standard that fits in many digital channels in a single transponder (read VHF/UHF analog frequency). Both Free and Pay channels can be carried over DVB-T waves. Upto 600 channels are proposed to be beamed by DD using this DVB-T/T2 technology leveraging existing TV transmission towers commissioned across India for Analog Terrestrial channels.

Users who have DVB-T/T2 tuners built-in their TV will not need Set-top box, just Yagi antenna (fish bone type) connected to their TV Antenna In connector.

Those with old TVs not having DTV tuners have to buy DVB-T/T2 Set-top box or a DVB-T/T2 USB dongle for their Computers.

DD finds DVB-T transmission 25% cheaper compared to DVB-S transmission as no satellite is needed only use existing TV towers releasing QAM modulated waves with retrofitted DVB-T hardware, hence attempts are made to rollout this in metro cities followed gradually by other places too covering the entire nation.
Thanks given by:
@Sathish: I suggest change the thread title to "Doordarshan (DD) aims 600 channels by DVB-T2 transmission".

My personal opinion is:
This DVB-T/T2 technology has a lot of potential and will pickup steadily if started in India. Already its in use in foreign countries like UK etc.

But we may not see immediate implementation by Doordarshan since they have quite a sluggish approach to things with tenders, files that take up lots of time.

We in Mumbai get signals DD National-DD Sahyadri, DD News in DVB-T on and off here. Still its a long way to go and gain popularity.
Thanks given by:
Thanks a lot Mr.Vinay for the translation. :happy:
Thanks given by:
(09-25-2013, 12:05 PM)vinay_kumar Wrote: @Sathish: I suggest change the thread title to "Doordarshan (DD) aims 600 channels by DVB-T2 transmission".

My personal opinion is:
This DVB-T/T2 technology has a lot of potential and will pickup steadily if started in India. Already its in use in foreign countries like UK etc.

But we may not see immediate implementation by Doordarshan since they have quite a sluggish approach to things with tenders, files that take up lots of time.

We in Mumbai get signals DD National-DD Sahyadri, DD News in DVB-T on and off here. Still its a long way to go and gain popularity.

I have made the change in thread as suggested by you. :up:
Thanks given by:
Hi Vinay!

From where DD will arrange so much spectrum? Spectrum is not so a cheap. TRAI/ DoT Will not allow DD to use so much spectrum at no cost.

Dont believe DD.
They cant even beam 97 channels on DD Direct.
Thanks given by:
(09-26-2013, 05:50 AM)AsitPaul Wrote: Hi Vinay!
From where DD will arrange so much spectrum? Spectrum is not so a cheap. TRAI/ DoT Will not allow DD to use so much spectrum at no cost.
Dont believe DD.
They cant even beam 97 channels on DD Direct.
Hi Asit,

There is no need to arrange spectrum. Its already there that is the normal VLF, VHF and UHF analog frequency bands (ranging from 47MHz to 860MHz) which will carry digital frequency DVB-T2 waves.

The cost is drastically reduced if retrofit DVB-T/T2 transmitters are installed on already working Analog Terrestrial TV Towers (for DD1 and DD News).

TRAI or DoT cannot intervene in this regard as they are using their infrastructure for enhancing capacity. TRAI will jump in to sort matters out, only if private companies start their DVB-T transmission services parallel to DD. Then the allotment of frequencies comes into picture.

About the number of channels to reach 600, yes even I disagree with DD and feel it to be a tall claim.

DD Direct Plus is altogether a different thing facing space crunch due to satellite issues, hence limited channels that we get.
But with DVB-T no satellite is needed, 600 channels will need 18 transponders (analog VHF/UHF frequency 7 to 8MHz wide) if each VHF frequency carries upto 32 digital channels with MPEG4 encoding and there are 106 transponders (analog frequencies) available.
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DTH Updates: 4 new Radio channels added on DD Free Dish (DD Direct Plus) Sathish 0 158 01-16-2021, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Sathish
  DTH Updates: AIR Leh (Radio) and AIR Jammu (Radio) channels added on DD Free Dish. Sathish 0 240 08-10-2020, 12:25 PM
  IDF Exclusive: DD Free Dish Channels List with LCN Sathish 0 322 07-09-2020, 01:32 AM
  IDF Exclusive: 9 new channels added on DD Free Dish Sathish 0 394 07-01-2020, 03:29 PM
  IDF Exclusive: Frequency wise channels list of DD Free Dish as on 30-06-2020 Sathish 0 276 06-30-2020, 06:31 AM
  IDF Exclusive: 3 Test channels added on DD Free Dish Sathish 0 272 06-29-2020, 02:26 PM
  IDF Exclusive: Frequency wise channels list of DD Free Dish as on 28-06-2020 Sathish 0 284 06-28-2020, 05:58 AM
  DTH News: Prasar Bharati allots DD Free Dish slots to three channels for Rs 21.69 cr nairrk 0 954 08-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  DTH News: DD Free Dish Platform presently carries 94 SD TV channels: I&B min nairrk 0 635 07-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  DTH Updates: 11 new DD channels added on DD Free Dish Sathish 2 1,170 05-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Hassan Syed