Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Help Gambhir rules out full time captaincy
Advertisement
Gautam Gambhir ruled out leading India on a full-time basis and said that Mahendra Singh Dhoni was doing a "far better" job.

"MS (Dhoni) is doing a far better job and all of us know that he is doing a great job. I am just concentrating on the present assignment and trying to do my job in the best possible manner. I have not given it a thought," Gambhir said, moments after leading India to a comfortable eight-wicket over New Zealand in the second one-dayer at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium.

Gambhir also said that finishing the game was even more "pleasing" than scoring a first hundred as captain.

"It was satisfying to get a hundred as captain but finishing the game is more pleasing," the skipper said in the post-match conference.

"I was enjoying there in the middle and the ball was coming onto the bat nicely, it was not spinning," he said.

Crediting the bowlers for laying the foundation for India's victory, Gambhir said, "258 was a good score but I must say that our bowlers did a very good job."

S Sreesanth broke the back of the Kiwi batting order with a four wicket haul while the others chipped in with a wicket each.

"Sreesanth bowled really well in the Test series and was very impressive in the last two one-dayers also," he said.

Asked about Ashish Nehra, who had an ordinary outing, Gambhir said, "Every bowler has an off day and Ashish is an experienced campaigner, and is bowling in good rhythm.

One can always have a bad day."

India's stand-in skipper hoped that the team would carry the momentum forward and finish the job in Baroda, the venue for the third match on Saturday.

"But we can't be complacent," Gambhir cautioned.

Daniel Vettori, on the other hand, was distraught with his bowlers' performance.

"We bowled poorly, gave them enough room and that's why we gave away too many boundaries. But Gambhir batted magnificently," the New Zealand captain said.

The visitors are going through a rough patch having suffered their seventh defeat on the trot and asked about that, Vettori said, "We can't get caught up in history."

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Dhoni will have a long inning to go in Indian Cricket!!!!!
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Hockey World Cup 2018 - Full Fixture List/Results/Points Table nairrk 17 1,742 12-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: India To Play 2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3T20Is Against West Indies, Full Schedule Announced nairrk 0 840 09-05-2018, 10:47 AM
  Update: Pro Kabaddi 2018 - Full Schedule & News updates nairrk 2 967 06-01-2018, 09:42 AM
  General News: ICC 2019 World Cup full schedule announced nairrk 0 915 04-27-2018, 09:26 AM
  Update: ICC World Cup Qualifiers, 2018 - Full Schedule/News & Score updates nairrk 20 2,116 03-25-2018, 08:02 PM
  General News: Mary Kom Wins Gold, Becomes Asian Boxing Champion for Fifth Time nairrk 0 804 11-08-2017, 02:28 PM
  General News: ICC Introduces New Rules; Players Will be Sent Off for Misconduct nairrk 0 698 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM
  General News: In a historic move, India to host World Boxing Championship for the 1st time in 2021 nairrk 0 722 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM
  General News: Test cricket to be shown in Ultra HD for first time on Sky Sports nairrk 0 804 04-21-2017, 07:44 PM
  General News: Rain-hit Wimbledon considering play on middle Sunday for first time in 12 years rahul1117_kumar 0 561 07-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Last Post: rahul1117_kumar