Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
How To: Ubuntu Installation for Newbies
Advertisement
For newbies who are interested in trying out Linux, here’s a simple tutorial to install Ubuntu Linux without having to create a new partition/following those lengthy & tough procedures (though they are short and simple). Please note that this is available on Ubuntu 8.10 or later.

Installation:

You can get a free copy of Ubuntu Linux from Ubuntu’s Site. You can either download the ISO or request a CD from them. Now proceed further

1. Insert the CD/mount the ISO
2. Your CD should autorun, if not, open umenu in the root folder of the CD
3. A window should appear like this

[Image: 2iacwso.jpg]

4. Go with the second option - “Install inside Windows“

[Image: 331oj9u.jpg]

5. You will now be asked to choose your drive, allocate the space, choose a desktop version and to create an Ubuntu account
  • Choose the drive where you have enough space to install Ubuntu (more than 8-10GB free)
  • Choose the maximum space you will allow Ubuntu to use. 4GB is bare minimum and 8-10GB is better. If you are running short of Hard Disk space, go for 4GB/5GB.
  • Ubuntu will be your Desktop Environment
  • Choose your preferred language
  • Enter the username and password for your first user account in Ubuntu (both are mandatory)
  • Click Install
[Image: 16by074.jpg]
6. Ubuntu Installation files will now be copied to your PC.
7. You will be asked to restart your PC. Remove the CD and restart. (Leaving the CD in will make it to boot)
8. Your PC will now restart
9. Choose “Ubuntu” in the booting options menu
10. Your PC will now boot into Ubuntu. Extracted files will now be installed. Once the extracted files are installed, you will be able to login to your Ubuntu session using the username and password you provided.

Ubuntu installation is now over. You can start using Ubuntu.

Booting into Windows OS

You can switch back to your Windows anytime. When your PC starts, you will be allowed to choose the operating system you would like to use. Select your Windows OS to proceed with Windows.

Booting Time Tweak

Basically, the booting time is set to 30 seconds. This could be time consuming. You can always change the time to a lower value. To do this,
  1. Open “msconfig” by typing it in the RUN command in Start menu
  2. Click the “Boot” tab
  3. Lower the timeout seconds (3 seconds is the bare minimum)
  4. Click OK and restart your PC
You have now learned to install Ubuntu inside Windows and tweaked your booting time.

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
thanks a lot friend
one more question
also please post the ways to uninstall ubuntu from XP computer
கந்தல் ஆனாலும் தாய் மடி போல் ஒரு சுகம் வருமா.....வருமா...
சொர்க்கம் சென்றாலும் சொந்த ஊர் போல் சுதந்திரம் வருமா.... வருமா ...
Thanks given by:
Uninstalling Ubuntu is very simple.

Just go to Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP, select Ubuntu & click remove. That's it, Ubuntu will be removed.
Thanks given by:
but when i checked some sites
they mentioned as we need windows XP repair CD
கந்தல் ஆனாலும் தாய் மடி போல் ஒரு சுகம் வருமா.....வருமா...
சொர்க்கம் சென்றாலும் சொந்த ஊர் போல் சுதந்திரம் வருமா.... வருமா ...
Thanks given by:
Ubuntu installation is done using Wubi installer in the above mentioned method. So it is easy to uninstall.

You uninstall it as any other applications. In Windows go to the control panel and select "Add or Remove Programs", then select Wubi/Ubuntu and uninstall it. You can also use the uninstaller that you find in the installation folder.

[Image: 1z3xl46.png]
Thanks given by:
thanks for your information
i installed Ubuntu
it's very easy to install

how to change the insulation?
Thanks given by:
Eventhough i am having internet connection i have booked a new CD from themSmileSmile
Thanks given by:
Satish,

I need a help from you.
I have installed ubuntu 10.0 LTS on my laptop and it looks very nice and fast.

Now problems:

1. I am unable to connect to internet (TATA plug2surf), it recognizes it but says "disconnected you are offline".
2. I dnt know how to install software on it. when downloaded from net, there is nothing but a bunch of scripts....I am all messed up with them.
3. How to put a desktop icon (Shortcut) on desktop of any program (I am getting mad)
4. It shows something different in place of my c drive, d drive etc....

Do you have any solution/answer for this.

I am aware that you were using ubuntu sometimes back......
Thanks given by:
Follow these steps to setup your Photon Plug2Surf with the “wvdial” dialer.

1. Install “wvdial” if you do not have it already. To install wvdial, use the command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install wvdial

2. Next, plug in your Tata Indicom USB Modem.

3. Now, create a dialer for your modem with the command:

Code:
sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

This creates the appropriate dialer configuration for your modem. Remember to keep the modem plugged in while running this command.

4. Edit the wvdial.conf file by issuing

Code:
sudo vi /etc/wvdial.conf

5. Your wvdial.conf file opens on issuing the above command. It should look like this :

Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CRM=1
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = 0
ISDN = 0
Password = <password>
New PPPD = <username>
Username = internet
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 9600

7. Now you have to edit the file. Put “internet” in place of <username> and <password>. Do not change any other auto-generated entry. Place the appropriate phone number in place of 0. It is #777 for Tata Indocom.

That should complete setting up your dialer. Now, to dial a connection, simply execute

Code:
sudo wvdial

in a terminal window. Enjoy.

In case it still does not work, add the lines:

Code:
Init3 = AT+CRM=1

and

Code:
Stupid Mode = 1

Stupid mode allows the connection to dial through a firewall and Init3 = AT+CRM=1 prevents frequent disconnections.

Thanks given by:
To add a desktop shortcut of any application in Ubuntu, just follow these steps:

1. Find the program in the Applications menus and right click on it
2. Select "Add this launcher to Desktop"
3. A link to the application will now be on your Desktop
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Google will stop installation of Chrome extensions from websites... nairrk 0 602 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Microsoft enables Windows 10 installation using voice recognition nairrk 0 498 04-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Intel Compute Stick now comes with Ubuntu SRK 0 758 07-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SRK
  DTH News: Ubuntu Edge breaks crowd funding record SRK 0 950 08-17-2013, 10:51 PM
  Mark Shuttleworth speaks about Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Mobilespedia 0 1,321 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Mobilespedia
  Ubuntu introduces future of Menu – HUD Mobilespedia 0 1,132 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
  What’s new in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1 Mobilespedia 0 1,005 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
  Breaking News: Ubuntu TV launched at CES SRK 0 1,542 01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
  Help: Ubuntu tells dumped CouchDB: It's not you, it's me SRK 0 1,618 11-25-2011, 09:45 PM
  Ubuntu Linux heads to smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs. SRK 0 1,451 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM