Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I&B Ministry to impose duty or cess on news channels?
Advertisement
The Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry on Wednesday said it had no intention to control the news content of television channels, but can look into the their number space.

Minister of state for I&B Anand Sharma told members in the Lok Sabha that steps had been taken to sensitise the media on key issues involving security and safety of the country.

Favouring self-regulation by media houses in live coverage of sensitive incidents, the minister said, "There is no intention to control content of news."

Sharma ruled out any blanket ban on live coverage of sensitive incidents. He said self-regulation was the best option even as some members protested against the way live coverage of 26/11 terror attacks had helped terrorists and how reports of an ill-equipped Army had brought down the morale of the troops.

The I&B minister said in the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks, government had held several rounds of meetings with representatives of News Broadcasters Association (NBA), the Indian Broadcasters Federation (IBF), security agencies and defence forces.

"The NBA has drafted self-regulatory code of ethics and put in place emergency protocol to be followed during coverage of sensitive incidents," Sharma added.

However, though the I&B Ministry may not be keen on controlling the content on news channels, but a senior central government official raised a few eyebrows on Wednesday by suggesting that it was time to impose "some duty or cess" to curb the mushrooming of television channels.

Speaking at a panel discussion at the Ficci-Frames meet, Zohra Chatterji, joint secretary, I&B Ministry, opened up a pandora's box by asking the audience, "How many do we have these days? Some channels concoct news in their bid to gain higher TRPs. Is it not high time there is some duty or cess imposed, so that their growth can be curbed."

Recently, the government cleared up to 417 television channels, of which some 200 are devoted to news and current affairs, presently over 300 already exist.

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DTH News: TRAI's new tariff framework: More channels at lesser subscription price nairrk 0 1,051 01-02-2020, 07:00 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: DTH Subscribers Are Saving Money With TRAI’s New Rules, Says I&B Ministry nairrk 1 572 06-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Hassan Syed
  Update: Tata Sky and Airtel Digital TV offers free sports channels nairrk 4 1,252 03-25-2019, 12:07 PM
  DTH News: Tata Sky, ABP News emerge as India’s most attractive DTH, TV brands in 2018.. nairrk 0 750 12-27-2018, 12:51 PM
  DTH News: Zee Entertainment to convert free channels into pay Sathish 0 937 08-28-2018, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Sathish
  DTH News: STB import duty doubled to 20% nairrk 0 663 12-16-2017, 06:49 PM
  DTH News: DishTV offers four Gujarati news channels for free during assembly polls nairrk 0 615 11-30-2017, 06:15 PM
  DTH News: Sun Direct adds capability to deliver 80 additional HD channels with Harmonic nairrk 0 759 11-16-2017, 02:48 PM
  DTH News: DishTV becomes the first DTH player in India to offer all users HD channels nairrk 1 962 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM
  DTH News: Govt DTH channels may beam into Tier-II theatres & other areas nairrk 0 732 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM