Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
I&B min snubs Trai's digital TV deadline
Advertisement
Terming the recent recommendations by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) on digitalisation as "not viable", the information and broadcasting (I&B) ministry is unhappy with the regulator. Sources said, Trai did not take I&B ministry into confidence before coming out with details of dates and deadlines for the digitalisation process.

The ministry is concerned by the timelines for digitalisation spelled in the Trai recommendations.

By putting March 31,2011 as the final date for the digitalisation of analogue cable across the four metros, the telecom regulator has left virtually no time for the I&B ministry to bring out the necessary notification. This will make the ministry look bad if it does not act on the recommendations, sources said.

According to the cable laws, the ministry has to give at least 180 days to the stakeholders for undertaking the cable digitalisation. Trai has given March 31, 2011 as the deadline for shifting to digital cable delivery platforms in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai.

"Like CAS, the I&B ministry needs to get the consent of the respective state governments before it can bring out the necessary notification. And for that, the ministry needs at least three to six months which is just not there in Trai's recommendations," a top government official said requesting anonymity.

Last week, even I&B minister Ambika Soni termed the regulator's recommendations as not viable for Prasar Bharati as according to the sanctioned plans, the complete digitalisation of Doordarshan and All India Radio will only be possible by 2017.

Sources said now the ministry is left with only two choices. One, to send back the recommendation to Trai to re-examine. Two, to take its own time before acting on it. Various stakeholders including broadcasters and cable associations are expected to meet the minister soon to discuss the recommendations.

Meanwhile, several broadcasters are expected to file their cases before the Telecom Disputes Settlement And Appellate Tribunal opposing the regulator's recent tariff order for DTH and all addressable platforms. The Trai tariff order says broadcaster have to enter into commercial arrangement with DTH operator at 35% of the tariff fixed for the non-CAS area. While this move reduces the loss of DTH operators, it also reduces the revenue for broadcasters from DTH platforms.
yahoo
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Radio City launches digital radio station in Bhojpuri nairrk 0 647 05-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: IndiaCast issues disconnection notice to Hathway Digital nairrk 2 834 05-04-2018, 11:33 AM
  General News: Big FM to provide digital-first programmatic solution for advertisers nairrk 0 686 03-28-2018, 06:33 PM
  General News: TRAI in favour of allowing private sector to provide digital radio services.. nairrk 0 748 02-02-2018, 07:42 AM
  General News: BIG FM goes digital with Webisodes of Benadryl Big Golden Voice nairrk 0 709 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM
  Update: Kerala Digital Vision - Channel List nairrk 2 5,549 12-19-2017, 03:46 PM
  General News: Radio City extends digital reach with Punjabi station nairrk 0 824 10-12-2017, 02:47 PM
  General News: Arasu digital STB costs Rs 200, govt alerts subs nairrk 0 1,076 10-05-2017, 09:09 AM
  General News: Cable operators who worked with Arasu, Sumangali 'blocking' new digital players.. nairrk 0 910 09-12-2017, 10:32 AM
  Update: Arasu Cable enters digital era, subscribers to get free set-top boxes nairrk 0 853 09-02-2017, 09:17 AM