Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
I&B ministry rejects clock auction for FM radio III
Advertisement
New Delhi: The auction of 806 FM radio stations across 217 new towns in the third phase (FM-III) of private FM radio will be held on closed tendering process instead of the online “clock auction” methodology adopted by the telecom ministry in awarding the 3G and broadband spectrum recently.

The ministry of information and broadcasting (I&B) is said to have turned down the request from the Committee of Secretaries (CoS) which had recommended it to model the FM-III auctions on similar lines as done by the department of telecommunications in the 3G and broadband auctions recently.

As reported by FE earlier, the CoS had urged the I&B ministry to adopt the e-auctions methodology for the FM-III auctions so as to impart fairness and transparency and also to maximise the government revenue.

According to sources, the I&B ministry in its Cabinet note on the policy guidelines for FM-III has said the telecom model is fundamentally different and “can not” be adopted for FM licences. This comes in line with the collective view of a number of existing private FM radio operators who voiced their opposition to the online ‘clock auctions’ recently.

Now the I&B ministry will adopt the system of closed tender, two stage sealed bidding process. In the first stage, the technical and financial status of the bidders will be evaluated based on the FM-III guidelines. In the second stage, all eligible bidders will have to submit their financial bids for FM frequencies which will be auctioned based on city-wise classification, sources said.

The Cabinet is likely to take up and clear the FM-III policy within next few weeks after which the I&B ministry will issue the guidelines for the third-phase expansion of FM radio within a month. The FM-III will put on auctions 806 FM radio frequencies across 283 towns of which 217 towns will get access to private FM radio for the first time.

Full Story: Indian DTH Blog

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: HT Media revamps Radio One Chennai nairrk 0 698 05-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Radio Mirchi expands footprint in US with launch in new cities nairrk 0 714 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM
  General News: Introducing Radio Connex - 'one of a kind' platform for Indian radio industry nairrk 0 771 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM
  General News: Radio Mirchi launches new station in Bharuch, eyes five more stations in Gujarat nairrk 0 896 08-06-2018, 02:55 PM
  General News: Radio Mirchi and CCC come together to promote entrepreneurship nairrk 0 844 07-27-2018, 12:36 PM
  General News: Radio Mirchi's new station in Akola gets soft launch nairrk 0 869 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM
  General News: Punjabi stars turn RJs for Radio Mirchi nairrk 0 746 07-24-2018, 12:50 PM
  General News: Radio One, Radio Nasha and Fever FM join forces nairrk 0 788 07-18-2018, 07:38 PM
  General News: AIR launches multimedia web radio service in Odia language for diaspora nairrk 0 1,009 07-16-2018, 03:32 PM
  General News: Red FM: Dehradun gets its first radio station nairrk 0 688 07-13-2018, 09:40 AM