Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
'Indian models need to be slapped!'
Advertisement
[Image: 9aa72s.jpg]

Mumbai: There are very few things that tempt Goa-born and bred designer Saviojon Fernandes out of his beloved Seolim home - the news that he's been chosen to exhibit in Paris and New York next month being one of them. So, ask him if he's a 'fashion hermit'? "Well, that's me," laughs the designer who has styled the likes of Aishwarya Rai and Tabu. "I love it here and am happy to have stayed away from the recent fashion weeks. They're so frivolous - all you have are two themes - Bollywood and weddings, and the nonsense of who is in the front row takes away from the reality of making good clothes." He found the recent Autumn/Winter showing pretentious, "considering we hardly have a winter," he says disdainfully.

The new line he's been busy with came up when Vidya Narine, organiser of the Lenewblack show, invited him to show in France. The clothes - mul, cotton and Indian prints in natural fabrics, "represent me and what I feel is right - no Bollywood nuances that you see today...I find that tacky," Savio explains. "It's a no-frills show and suits my temperament."

For someone who's known to have kinky designs, his clothes have toned down from the essence of quirk that they've had in the past. "Well, they're more wearable now," Savio admits, adding, "the core of my making clothes is easy - they have to be effortless and easy to wear."

The thought process also gels with who Savio finds easier to work with. "It's nice to dress foreign models," he says, unhesitatingly. "You know, Indian models have such an attitude problem; they literally pancake themselves and are so uptight - they need to be slapped!" he exclaims.

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: A R Rahman and Ilayaraja become members of Indian Performing Right Society (IPRS) nairrk 0 673 07-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2017 Announces its List of Nominations nairrk 0 881 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM
  General News: Indian entries invited for OSCAR awards to be presented in February 2017 nairrk 0 676 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM
  General News: Percept Pictures releases Youtube channel ‘Indian Chronicles’ and Musical Short Film nairrk 0 843 07-07-2016, 09:06 AM
  Help: Nominations for Global Indian Film & Television Honors Mr.AB 0 2,230 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Mr.AB
  Breaking News: Danny Boyle's '127 Hours' to hit Indian theatres on Jan 28 Mr.Bhat 0 1,052 12-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Help: Indian Idol 5 Sreeram's special song for Narnia 3 Mr.Bhat 0 1,216 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Help: Ishqiya to screen at River Florence Indian Film Festival Kanwar 0 1,012 11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Kanwar
  Help: Bollywood shines at Global Indian Music Awards Kanwar 0 1,089 11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kanwar
  Global Indian Music Awards!!!!! nairrk 0 945 10-28-2010, 03:02 PM