Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Kids want masala on TV!
Advertisement
Rakhi Sawant does her insaaf by asking an effeminate looking man, Do you like girls or guys As he answers, Girls, the audience roars, Jhootha, jhoota (liar!) and the soap queen smiles in approval.

On an episode of Bigg Boss, infamous Dolly Bindra and actor Sameer Soni come to blows in Emotional Atyachar, a gay youth crumbles before cameras as his boyfriend is caught cheating.

Eight-year-old Mahir watches Bigg Boss and cartoons on television. He prefers watching the risque show with his parents. He says, They laugh and then I feel like laughing too. Sanyam Bansal,15, says on a sober note, Some kids in tuition class try to use the same abuses as on the show. But that does'nt stop him from enjoying it. He adds, These shows are scripted. Everybody has a reputation to protect. I don't think anybody can fight and abuse like this unless they're following a script. Disha Agarwal,12 and Anmol Bansal try not to miss a episode. While for Disha the shows full of Oh-my-God moments, Anmol loves the fights and misunderstandings. He remarks, I enjoyed watching Pamela!

The timings make no difference to these kids. Just like they've got used to watching TV commercials with sexy content with parents, beeped out abuses have the same effect. And, there are always reruns and late-night shows when the adults are asleep. And, of course, there's YouTube too. Veena Mallik's sensual massages and Ashmit Patel's loverboy antics on Bigg Boss haven't escaped their notice either.

For 17-year-old Preena and her friends, a boy getting smart is trying to be an Ashmit and a girl who flirts is referred to as Veena Mallik ! Luckily for Preena, her parents watch these shows for her and as her father comments, How much can you hide from kids One should give them the right values and trust them. Preena adds, We don't want the show toned down its the masala that we enjoy.

Says an enlightened mother, My kids laugh at the unreal situations on Bigg Boss. I never worry that they are in any danger of copying them. Where else would you find a dacoit, an item girl and a failed actress all together under one roof

In other words, its like the zoo has come home and we all get free access to the specimens on display. Trash television has arrived and the plot is getting more and more dysfunctional. Remarks Debraj Mookerjee, associate professor, Ramjas College, The old sense of community, including gossip and exchange of tidbits, has been dislodged by television. Reality TV is filling the gap. It presents a dystopian land-Actor John Abraham in an episode of Emotional Atyachar scape for the youth and distorts perception. We seem headed in the direction of decadent US television talk and reality shows, where dysfunctionality is celebrated above all.

The explanation given most often is that the shows reflect society. And, if were to believe the participants and channels, we haven't yet seen the half of it the shows come heavily censored. Says Nikhil Gandhi, business head, UTV Bindass, Couples sign no-objection certificates before an episode is aired even the ones doing the cheating. Anything for publicity! Society is changing. We had a parent thanking us for exposing their daughters cheating fiance. Rolly, a 30-year-old who conducted a fidelity test on her husband of four years says, I was relieved when he came out clear. My husband was very upset initially, but he understood my point of view and we share a great relationship now. I would advise couples to go for the fidelity test. Here too, kissing is rampant and so are the beeps during offensive exchanges. Adds Nikhil, The young know how to move on, without wasting time over a bad relationship. Also, our show is telecast in the evening when the youth holds the remote control, unlike a show like Bigg Boss, which airs right after a family soap like Balika Vadhu.

However, while such shows may hold a mirror to society, they are also tweaking perceptions. Classical music and cultural shows, for instance, have few takers. A parent confesses that its a challenge to keep her children interested in learning tabla and dance, while the rest lean towards Bollywood beats. Maybe its also time for a parental lock for certain channels And, maybe television shows must learn to push the envelope, but constructively. Says author Pavan Choudary, The gladiator games in Italy were promoted by the Roman emperors.

And very soon a section of the society started enjoying this gory spectacle where men were torn open in contests between man and man and man and beast. Ones enjoyment should not hurt the others sensibility. Both vulgarity and virtue can be sold. It's a bigger challenge to package virtue so that it sells. Are channels up to the challenge Or do they know something we don't.

Source: The Times Of India

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Discovery Kids to add two new language feeds, launch ‘Fukrey Boyzzz’ on 12 Oct nairrk 0 481 09-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Star India launches Disney kids pack priced at Rs. 10 nairrk 0 517 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM
  General News: Biswas Media launches Bengali kids channel with 10 original shows nairrk 0 560 06-13-2019, 10:55 AM
  General News: Bengali kids channel Rongeen TV to launch on 12 June nairrk 0 459 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM
  General News: Star Movies Kids is the new kid on the block nairrk 0 734 01-20-2019, 12:29 PM
  General News: Disney India to launch new kids channel Marvel HQ in place of Disney XD nairrk 0 816 01-16-2019, 12:15 PM
  General News: Viacom18 to telecast Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards 2018 across 6 channels on 6 Jan nairrk 0 593 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM
  General News: Ex-Videocon d2h CEO Anil Khera aims for kids' channel nairrk 0 809 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM
  General News: Discovery Kids adds English feed to increase penetration in India, SAARC nairrk 0 690 08-23-2018, 06:34 PM
  General News: Content play of India's kids channels nairrk 0 950 07-09-2018, 09:50 AM