Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lewis: Conditions were worst ever
Advertisement
Lewis Hamilton says he has never raced in conditions as tough as the storm that halted the Malaysian Grand Prix.

A huge downpour and thunderstorm brought today's race to an end after just 31 of the scheduled 56 laps.

“When the rain came down, it was impossible to drive,” said Hamilton, who made it through to seventh.

“I was aquaplaning everywhere – these were the most dangerous conditions I’ve ever raced in.

"All I could do was try and keep the car on the track.

"It was the correct decision to stop the race because it was just too dangerous for everyone.

"I love it when it rains, but this was just too much.”

Team boss Martin Whitmarsh was delighted that Hamilton had managed to take a point from such a difficult event, especially as he had only started 12th.

"Lewis’s ability shone brightly in the gathering gloom and the race brought another really impressive performance from him," said Whitmarsh.

"He kept his head throughout, and the result was a hard-earned point for seventh place.

"That may not sound like a great deal by our usually high standards – but, given where he started, it’s a step in the right direction."

Hamilton's team-mate Heikki Kovalainen was unable to add to McLaren's score after spinning off on the first lap.

"I was taking it quite carefully and was trying to slot in behind Lewis, then I just lost the rear and spun out," he said.

"It was my mistake. Game over.”

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lewis Hamilton Charged Over Melbourne Burnout, Court Date Sathish 1 1,413 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Last Post: KRISHNASAGAR
  Lewis Hamilton may revel in new underdog status ahead of F1's first race Sathish 0 752 03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Sathish
  Lewis Hamilton's McLaren 'not fast enough' for new F1 season Sathish 0 859 03-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Sathish