Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Cable tv and FTA stb channels work together
Advertisement
Dear friends,

My Hathway cable operator does not show many free-to-air tv channels despite requests. Also sometimes the cable operators power supply goes off.
Here is an idea which I am using to watch cable and fta set-top box channels together and only fta channels when cable outage occurs.

Wiring diagram:

Now the fta stb needs to have an RF modulator built-in else you will need to buy an external RF modulator. My fta stb allows setting the modulator freq from UHF Ch21 to 69.
My local cable operator has left UHF Ch38 blank so I am using that slot to get the extra channels by setting as shown below.

1. First find out blank frequency in your cable network using menu below in digital cable stb:

2. Then tune to a tv channel on your fta stb and adjust its RF Output to the same channel as shown:

3. The rear of my cable and fta stbs looks like this.

[Image: Ei6Lt.jpg]

The Cable Out and RF Out have to be joined together with a "T" connector and finally given to the "TV Antenna In".

[Image: 6xPZv.jpg]

T-Connector:

How the actual wiring looks:

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Read your post later, it seems you got a solution but as per my experience I thought same. I suggest blind scan stb members to get both cables of analog & stb cables most close & try for blind scan & if they get any frequency then we try to convert DVB - T in DVB - S. They did same but not output. Rather I thought combine DVB - C & DVB - S for free to air & paid channel, if it happen then I would like to go for it. Now let me read your last reply. Hope you got a solution. Smile It looks we are creative minded.
Thanks given by:
Ya nice work. It solved my 80% problem. I was thinking same accessing method but not like that way. I thought I had analog cable, D2H box. When analog cable power off I thought to switch to D2H for FTA & no worst entertainment while analog cable back. But when I buy D2H box that time the software upgraded & no FTA offered by D2H Sad.
Thanks given by:
T connector price? Doesnt it mess up with each other (FTA & Cable TV) through single cable?

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
(07-25-2012, 06:15 PM)MAX Wrote: T connector price? Doesnt it mess up with each other (FTA & Cable TV) through single cable?

Thanks.

T- connector costs Rs20 to 30. I have chosen blank cable tv frequency UHF Ch38 [~ 607 MHz] on my network to prevent the messup or interference on other analog channels.

Thanks given by:
Great Idea than my imagination about my set up. My D2H box haven't rf tv out, but it have Universal remote but only 5 keys are only restoreble, if all keys will restoreble I was going to use it's numeric keys for both TV & STB. But no chance. Your setup is very well & verry good. I like it.
Thanks given by:
excellent work brother try more to teach us:happy:

<<DISHKILLER>> <<ONE NAME ONE VISION>>
Thanks given by:
What if u use T connector as a Diseqc 2 x 1?

Ready for experiment / not?
Thanks given by:
(07-31-2012, 10:02 AM)MAX Wrote: What if u use T connector as a Diseqc 2 x 1?

Ready for experiment / not?

T connector should never be used in the place of a DiSEqC, the result could be damaged LNBs / set-top box.
The purpose of DiSEqC is to allow switching between LNBs making use of electronic hardware and software whereas T connector is just to split signals or combine 2 RF in a single wire.

I will not try this experiment Smile
Thanks given by:
GOODWORK BRO:happy:
<<DISHKILLER>> <<ONE NAME ONE VISION>>
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 inch B/W TV for testing satellite channels signal from my dish antennas vinay_kumar 8 4,402 12-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Last Post: GIRI PHOTOG