Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Move to shift IPL ties to small towns hailed
Advertisement
Bangalore: The Indian Premier League (IPL) organisers’ move to shift matches to small towns like Rajkot, Nagpur and Baroda has found favour from former Test cricketers like Praveen Amre and Kiran More.

Former Indian middle order batsman and Mumbai Ranji Trophy coach Praveen Amre praised the IPL commissioner Lalit Modi’s intentions to shift some of the matches to small centres as it gives the spectators over there to watch international players rub shoulders with each other.

"I think it is a fantastic idea because the spectators from small towns get an opportunity to soak-in the Twenty20 atmosphere. Their dream of seeing two of the world’s most destructive batsmen like Sachin Tendulkar and Sanath Jayasuriya play for the same team will be realized. And even from the point of security it will be easier to secure a city like Nagpur or Baroda than to spread security blankets on big cities," Amre told Cricketnext.com on Friday.

"I also respect the fears of the Central Government as the elections always need tight security. Also IPL is just a year-old baby, which has created a huge response world over, and if something goes wrong due to lack of security it might become very tough for the organizers to convince foreign players or their boards to send them back next year.

No player would like to go through what the Sri Lankans went through in Pakistan," he added.

"When a stadium houses 35,000 to one lakh spectators, the main concern now-a-days will be security and the Government is right in asking such events to be postponed as it is clashing with the general elections.

But if most of the matches are shifted to smaller towns even to provide security for the players and spectators alike would be easy," Amre observed.

Former Indian stumper Kiran More said the crowd would throng a Twenty20 match anywhere in India and the move to have matches in small towns was a good one.

"I heard IPL commissioner Lalit Modi speak about this move on the Television and it is a good move I suppose. I think the BCCI should take such tournaments to small centers while Test and One-Dayers should be hosted in big venues alone. You will be shocked to hear that not a single Test has been held in Kolkata for the past two years," More said.

"Instead of allotting Test matches to Orissa, where hardly a handful of people come to watch, it would be a good move to host a few IPL ties and I am sue you will get a packed house anywhere in India," he added.

"I also understand the concern of the Central Government as they will be held responsible if anything untoward happens during the match. After the Lahore incident, it is better to be ultra careful than repent later," More observed.

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update: England move up to third in ICC Test rankings nairrk 0 664 08-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: In a historic move, India to host World Boxing Championship for the 1st time in 2021 nairrk 0 712 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  DTH News: Pakistan FM Khar wants resumption in cricket ties with India Kanwar 0 1,133 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Kanwar
  PCB hoping to revive bilateral cricket ties with India soon Kanwar 0 1,110 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Kanwar
  Help: Big billing, small deeds greatsadiq 0 804 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Last Post: greatsadiq
  Help: Pietersen learns to shift gears and score Mr.Bhat 0 674 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Help: Royals move Bombay HC against BCCI Mr.Bhat 0 825 10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
  BCCI severs ties with IPL event management company Mr.Bhat 0 1,453 08-31-2009, 08:12 AM
  PCB serves legal notice to ICC over its decision to shift World Cup Mr.Bhat 0 775 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM
  Flintoff disappointed at IPL shift N.T.Pandian 0 773 03-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Last Post: N.T.Pandian