Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Pak wicket keeper,Zulqarnain quits cricket
Advertisement
Claiming death threats, Zulqarnain quits cricket

London/Karachi, Nov 9 (PTI) The turmoil in Pakistan cricket refuses to subside with wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider today retiring from international cricket within three months of his Test debut after sensationally deserting his team due to death threats for refusing to fix matches.

The 24-year-old gloveman, who has played just one Test, four ODIs and three Twenty20 internationals, also sought political asylum in England after dumping his team in the middle of the just-concluded ODI series against South Africa in the UAE.

"My family is still getting threats. I have decided to retire because there is lot of pressure on me and I can't take it," Haider told 'Geo News' from London after mysteriously fleeing from Dubai ahead of the fifth ODI against South Africa yesterday.

"I will be sending a letter to the PCB to inform them about my decision to retire," he said.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/1098840_Clai...ts-cricket-
Advertisement
Zulqarnain seeks asylum

more news......

London - Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider is seeking asylum in Britain after fleeing from Dubai because he feared for his safety after being ordered to co-operate with match-fixers.

Zulqarnain said he was forced to apply for asylum because of the circumstances that made him leave the team hotel in Dubai.

“I had no intention of applying for asylum. I have put my cricket career at stake. I could have earned much more coming here as a Pakistani player without any issues,” the wicketkeeper, told Geo News Channel. Zulqarnain, 24, also announced his international retirement after being approached by a person who asked him to fix the fourth and fifth one-day internationals against South Africa.

“I have decided it is best for me to retire from international cricket since my family and I are constantly getting threats,” he said.

“It is best for me to step down because I can't play in these circumstances. But I would like to continue to play domestic cricket.”

Zulqarnain was a member of the Pakistan squad whose tour of England this year degenerated into chaos when test captain Salman Butt and opening bowlers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir were suspended following spot-fixing allegations.

A newspaper report said the trio had arranged for deliberate no-balls to be delivered in the fourth and final test against England.

The International Cricket Council's (ICC) Anti-Corruption and Security Unit upheld the provisional suspensions on Butt and Amir after the pair appealed. Asif withdrew his appeal in order to give his lawyers more time to prepare their case.

Their fate will now be determined by an independent tribunal which will meet at a date yet to be set.

The ICC said on Sunday it was impressed by the Pakistan Cricket Board's response to its request to review the integrity of the game at all levels.

The initiatives include the development of an anti-corruption code, a proposed plan to regulate players' agents and an enhanced nationwide education programme.

Zulqarnain, who hit the winning runs in the fourth one-day match on Friday, left the team hotel shortly before the fifth which was won by South Africa to clinch the series 3-2.

He landed in London hours after leaving Dubai and spent almost four hours locked in discussions with immigration authorities.

Speaking about his decision to leave, he said: “I was told to cooperate or I would face lot of problems.

“This person approached me while I had gone out of the hotel for dinner. He told me cooperate with us and you can make a lot of money.

“He said, 'If you don't cooperate you will no longer be part of the team and we can make life very difficult for you'.”

Pakistan manager Intikhab Alam said Zulqarnain's sudden departure had been a surprise.

“He never spoke to me about any of this. I am not a magician to know what is going on in the mind and heart of a person,” Intikhab said.

ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said the issue was a matter for the team management in the first instance.

“We would of course be interested in speaking to him but nobody knows where he is,” he told reporters. “So we won't make any comments until we are able to establish the facts.” - Reuters

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket/world...m-1.731811
Pak govt not to support Haider in his UK asylum bid

The Pakistan government has made it clear that it will not assist troubled wicket-keeper Zulqarnain Haider in his bid to seek asylum in the UK after he fled to London midway through a series against South Africa in Dubai citing death threats from match-fixers. "The government will not support any move from Zulqarnain (Haider) to get asylum in the UK. We don't support his actions and believe he should have come to us if he was under threat from anyone. He didn't have confidence in the national team management or board (PCB)," Pakistan Sports Minister Ijaz Hussain Jakhrani told reporters on Tuesday night before leaving for Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.

"If he is such a weak and scared person he should not have played cricket in the first place, particularly not for the national team.

"This is not way for a member of the national team to behave or for even a professional cricketer to behave," he added.

Haider retired from international cricket on Tuesday, following the threats and have now sought asylum in the UK for himself and his family claiming that he was threatened by illegal bookies after he refused to fix the last two one-day internationals against South Africa in Dubai.

The 24-year-old wicket-keeper also claimed in an interview that the person who approached him to fixing matches was staying in the team hotel in Dubai.

Jakhrani also said that the Sports Ministry had already written to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), asking it for a complete report on the incident.

"We don't want to interfere in the internal matters of the board but we certainly want to know why this has happened as it affects the image of the country," he said.

"But no doubt this incident has disappointed us. Zulqarnain should have come to us for help. We will not support his move to get asylum in the UK," the minister reiterated

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Pak-govt-n...24286.aspx
Poor guy... Smile what a crap.. he must have got some huge money.... from bookies.. i believe. (personal comment only pals.. Smile )
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.. for tomorrow never comes.. live today!!!
Thanks given by:
Now PCB suspended his Contract also - simply washing their hands!!!!
Zulqarnain confirms seeking asylum in the UK

London/Karachi, Nov 9 (PTI) Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider has confirmed that he had sought asylum in the UK after fleeing from the Pakistan team hotel in Dubai following threats from match-fixers.

The 24-year old cricketer also said that he did not inform his team management or fellow cricketers about the issue as he did not want to put them at a risk.

The 24-year old cricketer, for the first time clearly admitted having sought asylum for himself and his family in the UK, which he felt was the safest place to be after he got threats from persons who wanted him to fix the fourth and fifth one-day internationals against South Africa in Dubai.

He also made the startling claim that the person who had approached him to fix the matches and threatened him with consequences if he did not cooperate, had stayed in the same hotel as the Pakistan team.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/1100716_Zulq...-in-the-UK-
sad news 4 pakistan
Thanks given by:
I was offered big money to tell all by media: Haider

Karachi, Nov 12 (PTI) Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider has claimed to have turned down lucrative offers from the media to give details of his decision to desert his team in Dubai midway through an ODI series and flee to London after receiving death threats for refusing to fix matches.

The 24-year-old wrote on his facebook account that the 'News of the World' tabloid had offered him lots of money for an interview but he spoke to them without taking a penny.

"They offered me lots of money but I gave them the interview free of cost but what was surprising was that they said it would be half an hour thing but it went on for one and half hour," Haider wrote.

"They were trying to ask hard questions but I told them they should talk to the ICC about it," Haider wrote on his account

http://www.ptinews.com/news/1108031_I-wa...ia--Haider-
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update: ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 - News/match updates/Results nairrk 92 2,724 07-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Yuvraj Singh announces retirement from all forms of cricket nairrk 0 410 06-10-2019, 06:15 PM
  General News: Mohammad Kaif retires from all forms of cricket nairrk 0 593 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM
  General News: AB de Villiers retires from international cricket nairrk 0 580 05-23-2018, 07:00 PM
  General News: Blind Cricket World Cup: India Beat Pakistan by 2 Wickets to Lift Title nairrk 0 840 01-21-2018, 07:33 AM
  General News: Ashish Nehra announces retirement from all forms of cricket nairrk 0 927 10-12-2017, 02:59 PM
  General News: ICC Cricket Committee recommends DRS for all T20 Internationals nairrk 0 837 05-26-2017, 07:42 AM
  General News: Jhulan Goswami becomes leading wicket-taker in ODIs nairrk 0 542 05-09-2017, 07:02 PM
  General News: Test cricket to be shown in Ultra HD for first time on Sky Sports nairrk 0 734 04-21-2017, 07:44 PM
  General News: BCCI is now letting Facebook users choose Indian Cricket’s ‘Dream Team’ .... nairrk 0 724 09-20-2016, 05:35 PM