Advertisement


Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Rework plan, IPL told
Advertisement
#1
NEW DELHI: The Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket tournament has hit a rough patch, with the Home Ministry asking the organisers to rework the revised schedule.

The Ministry, which analysed the revised schedule submitted to it on March 7 and the responses received from the State governments concerned, on Friday advised the organisers that “it may not be feasible to hold the matches as per the revised schedule.”

“The IPL organisers have been advised to accommodate the concerns of the State governments and draw up a revised schedule and submit the same to the Ministry of Home Affairs,” a release from the Ministry said.

The directive torework the schedule once again has cast a shadow on holding the event. As the matches coincide with the Lok Sabha elections, to be held in five phases from April 16 to May 13, foolproof security at the venues and for players has been a major concern of the Ministry.

Following the recent terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan and intelligence inputs making out a case for tight security during the IPL tournament as well as VIP movements for poll campaign, the government is in no mood to allow any relaxation in security for the matches.

Consultation with the State governments was accomplished through a video conference between senior officials of the seven States that will hold IPL matches and Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta earlier in the day.

A majority of the States either agreed to provide security after the elections or on the condition that they are given additional para-military forces.

The Ministry said it was not possible to exempt any State from its promise of releasing police personnel for election duty, as these were taken into account in arriving at the overall availability of security personnel.

PTI reports:

IPL commissioner Lalit Modi and CEO Sundar Raman are expected to hold discussions with Home Ministry officials on Saturday to find a way out of the imbroglio. Both air-dashed to New Delhi from Mumbai.

Reply
Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement




Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oz cricketers told they are free to quit India tour over security fears Mr.Bhat 0 781 09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  'No plan to terminate IPL contracts of Aus players' Mr.Bhat 0 821 12-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Close ICL, join IPL: BCCI told Subhash Chandra Sathish 0 729 04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Sathish
  Massa: FOTA points plan best for F1 Sathish 0 810 03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sathish
  IPL told to revise its schedule again Sathish 0 682 03-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Sathish

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Advertisement