Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Rookie Buemi puts Switzerland back on F1 map
Advertisement
BARCELONA (Reuters) - Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi shrugged off the pressure of being Formula One's only rookie driver after unveiling his team's new car on Monday.

"In the end, when you sit in the car it doesn't really matter if you're the only rookie or not," the 20-year-old Swiss told reporters.

"I just try to concentrate as best as possible on my job, and that's it. You just need to relax and think about what you need to do.

"If the car is fast we want to achieve something good," he said of his aims for the new season starting in Australia on March 29.

"But the objective is to fight against my team mate, to prove myself during the whole season so that I can arrive at the end and be happy with what I did."

Buemi replaces German race-winner Sebastian Vettel alongside France's Sebastian Bourdais at the Ferrari-powered team and has probably the toughest task of any driver.

Formula One has introduced major changes, with slick tyres replacing the former grooved ones and new systems and aerodynamics.

At the same time, testing is banned during the season as part of wide-ranging cost-cutting measures pushed through in response to the credit crunch.

The late introduction of the STR04, with Toro Rosso the last out along with the former Honda team now renamed Brawn GP, also means Buemi has only a handful of days to get used to it.

The Swiss, who must wait until Wednesday to get behind the wheel, has tested extensively in last year's car since November and was previously the Red Bull test and reserve driver.

"I did quite a lot, but it's never enough," he said, recognising that it would have been easier for him if the rules had remained constant.

"But I would say I feel quite good at the moment. We need to wait for the new car, we need to see what we can do, and I am really looking forward to being in the car on Wednesday and Thursday. Right now I feel quite confident.

"Melbourne will come fast. We have the end of this week, and then another week, and that's it. So I am really looking forward to being in the car."

Buemi is the first Swiss Formula One driver since Jean-Denis Deletraz in 1995, who failed to score a point in three appearances.

Compatriot Clay Regazzoni won five races in the 1970s, and Jo Siffert before him, while Marc Surer was familiar to fans in the 1980s.

"I feel quite proud. There are many drivers in Switzerland who tried to get to F1 and it is really difficult, you don't get very much support from the people there," said Buemi.

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Back-to-back World T20s to replace Champions Trophy nairrk 0 616 04-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Ranji Trophy to be back to its home and away format as per the BCCI nairrk 0 778 07-31-2017, 12:54 PM
  General News: CSK look to bring back core team, Dhoni top priority nairrk 0 645 07-14-2017, 09:54 AM
  General News: BCCI puts out tender for 5-year team sponsorship rights rahul1117_kumar 0 602 02-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Last Post: rahul1117_kumar
  Breaking News: Kochi Tuskers to sign Sourav Ganguly back in 4th season Kanwar 9 3,490 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Kanwar
  Help: ICC puts up domestic anti-corruption code Mr.Bhat 0 675 11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Breaking News: Gambhir, Ishant back for New Zealand series Mr.Bhat 1 985 10-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Sathish
  Mohammad Yousuf comes back into Test team Mr.Bhat 1 1,113 08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Last Post: mayu
  Chelsea Back In For Alexandre Pato? Not So Says AC Milan Rdev 2 1,655 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: mosful
  IPL team owners may hold back franchise payment Mr.Bhat 0 957 11-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat