Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tip: Improve FM Radio Reception Easily
Advertisement
Hi Friends,

FM Radio has become quite popular with private operators starting their services years back. FM or Frequency Modulation band ensures clear crisp sound and in higher-end music systems, the stereophonic effect is mesmerizing.

FM Radio Band: 87 MHz to 108MHz

[Image: d5znwb99d54rs15y2n.jpg]

However sometimes we are not able to enjoy the music due to weak signal reception etc. In this article we will see a few techniques of improving reception. However note that this holds good only for radios/music systems with an external antenna input or a telescopic antenna.

This article will be an ongoing one with new innovations bein added on a regular basis. So lets start with a basic simple antenna.

Technique 1: Dipole antenna
Take a metal cloth hanger, ideally Aluminium one. Plastic or Wooden hangers will not serve the purpose. Connect any copper core insulated wire (I prefer RG6, reason being lower signal loss and immune to interference due to stray signals) .
Now hang the contraption in an open space at a height and connect the other end of the wire to the antenna of the radio/antenna input socket.
(FM Reception quality increases as altitude or height increases).
This antenna is directional, meaning the reception can be enhanced by rotating it. I will show another non-directional antenna in another section.

[Image: 2afw24y4t6fli9gshmwx.jpg]

[Image: j8v91m2jqtygzkmj2ab.jpg]

Technique 2: Using metal F-connector of STB to improve reception
Another thing that works wonders is connection of radio aerial to the outer metal part of F-connector. Some interference noise may be there in the frequencies between 2 radio stations when the STB is on but I have found it to be very good.

[Image: au2e3szvrwk0vp4awx26.jpg]

NEXT: We will see a non-directional antenna with no need of rotation.

To Be Continued...

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
I Stay In BELGAUM, I Recieve FM Stations From Kolhapur, Maharastra Which Is 100Kms Away.. Rarely GOA [150Kms] Hilly Area

I Have One TV Antenna, I Have Connected With A Normal Signal Booster Used For TV Signals On Terrestrial Transmission... Attach To It Is The TELEPHONE [Land Line] Wire and I Am Enjoying The Signals... RG6 Cable Is Abundant With Me, Will Try That Also...

Sometimes I Received DELHI FM, KARACHI FM... But Not Nowadays....
[Image: izvqcn.jpg]

wIcKeD mEnTaLiTy
Thanks given by:
Will Post My FM Setup Here By Evening...
[Image: izvqcn.jpg]

wIcKeD mEnTaLiTy
Thanks given by:
Technique 3: Omni-Directional Antenna
So now we move ahead and build a omni-directional antenna without the need for rotation to optimize reception.
Take a copper wire or enamelled wire of thickness of sufficient guage. Wind it on a circular container and shape it as shown in the image.
Connect the terminal of the antenna to telescopic antenna / antenna input.
Mount the coil dipole antenna on a pole or a wooden stick on the terrace or open space with no walls, trees or buildings blocking FM Waves.

[Image: 53b9wk6wepy9l8wbhuht.jpg]

[Image: hsnmdlorqpbj0bk0jqif.jpg]

[Image: g286znpn5hcwh36xuaz8.jpg]

[Image: lwxmp0h7zt8p0m4o2j1.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Wow!!! Very Good share Mr.Vinay....
We get here (Saudi), Bahrain FM station (Indian Station/Programs) but very weak...

I have tried some of these, but here is the clear guide... Got to try it for sure...
Thanks Again...
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.. for tomorrow never comes.. live today!!!
Thanks given by:
Waiting for Sadiq's tip's..
Thanks given by:
I have a well-known high-end AM/FM tuner, along with a five-element Uda-Yagi Doordarshan antenna, a DIY Quad, and a wire-dipole supplied along with the tuner. The tuner is in the second floor of the building, and the building's terrace is immediately above (about 35 ft. from the road level). I have access to the terrace, but would not like the antenna to be very visible from the road.

Moreover the local FM stations offer limited fare, and the nearest FM station broadcasting the programs that I like, is almost 500 KM away. There is no prospect of receiving this station, even if I use a very large Uda-Yagi, on regular basis in clear stereo quality. I have to be content with receiving the local stations in clear stereo, and occasional bursts of DX reception (as an enthusiast) which do not have quality.

From this point-of-view, am I correct in my thinking that I should discard the Uda-Yagi and the DIY Quad, and stick to the wire-dipole, concentrating more on mounting the wire-dipole properly? Would a wire-dipole be significantly disadvantageous in any way in the scenario described above?
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2011, 05:33 PM)kspv Wrote: From this point-of-view, am I correct in my thinking that I should discard the Uda-Yagi and the DIY Quad, and stick to the wire-dipole, concentrating more on mounting the wire-dipole properly? Would a wire-dipole be significantly disadvantageous in any way in the scenario described above?

Do not dispose off the Yagi and DIY Quad. You may need it later.

Yes a wire dipole made from enamelled copper wire of sufficient SWG thickness will help receive local FM stations with clarity. Distant FM stations are received with a little hissing in the background. Mount the omni-directional antenna on a pole at a suitable height.

Thanks given by:
सर ,आपका बहुत-बहुत धन्यवाद.मै आपके दिये हुए चित्रो को नही देख पा रहा हू.पुनः अपलोड करेंगे,तो बढी मेहर्बानी होगी,मै सचमुच नही सुन पाता हू.अग्रिम मे धन्यवाद
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2013, 09:59 PM)shivharebetul Wrote: सर ,आपका बहुत-बहुत धन्यवाद.मै आपके दिये हुए चित्रो को नही देख पा रहा हू.पुनः अपलोड करेंगे,तो बढी मेहर्बानी होगी,मै सचमुच नही सुन पाता हू.अग्रिम मे धन्यवाद

Seems, the problem is due to the site empirepic.com. We'll inform Mr. Vinay shortly.

It may please be noted that the preferred language of the forum is English
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: HT Media revamps Radio One Chennai nairrk 0 588 05-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Radio Mirchi expands footprint in US with launch in new cities nairrk 0 578 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM
  General News: Introducing Radio Connex - 'one of a kind' platform for Indian radio industry nairrk 0 693 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM
  General News: Radio Mirchi launches new station in Bharuch, eyes five more stations in Gujarat nairrk 0 807 08-06-2018, 02:55 PM
  General News: Radio Mirchi and CCC come together to promote entrepreneurship nairrk 0 769 07-27-2018, 12:36 PM
  General News: Radio Mirchi's new station in Akola gets soft launch nairrk 0 791 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM
  General News: Punjabi stars turn RJs for Radio Mirchi nairrk 0 666 07-24-2018, 12:50 PM
  General News: Radio One, Radio Nasha and Fever FM join forces nairrk 0 708 07-18-2018, 07:38 PM
  General News: AIR launches multimedia web radio service in Odia language for diaspora nairrk 0 886 07-16-2018, 03:32 PM
  General News: Red FM: Dehradun gets its first radio station nairrk 0 604 07-13-2018, 09:40 AM