Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update: Reliance Jio 4G SIM activation: Here is what the experience was like
Advertisement
If you follow smartphone launches closely, pretty much every manufacturer is focussing on one thing: VoLTE support. The reason: Reliance Jio’s 4G VoLTE services are due to launch commercially in the next three months, and most manufacturers want to ensure that their is device is compatible. However, many people are now sporting a Jio 4G SIM. I recently joined the list when I bought a Rs 2,999 Reliance Lyf Flame 6 smartphone. The reason: This phone might not be much in terms of specifications, but it gives me three months free access to 4G data and VoLTE calls, etc.

Yes, the phone by itself doesn’t have great specs, and this one doesn’t come with the Play Store installed in it. But as the salesman in Reliance Digital Store informed me first up: It supports the personal hotspot feature and frankly that’s all I’m interested in, at least for now. In my own home, there are two Internet wired broadband connections and both are unreliable at best. The so called high-speed one has an FUP limit, and given the Netflix addition in my house this is just not enough. Even better, in the monsoon one of them will stop working. Given there’s a full fledged office running in my home all week, constant internet connectivity is a must.

So has the Reliance Jio 4G Lyf smartphone helped? And how easy is activation? Here’s my experience so far. Let’s not forget the service is still in beta, so everyone might not always get the same connectivity with these phones. I bought the SIM and phone two weeks back on a Monday, and then could only find time to activate it by the end of that week. The email that my number was ready for verification came a day after I bought the SIM and phone. When buying the phone and SIM, you’ll need to submit address proof, ID proof etc, and keep the details close, because this number on your ID card will be needed during the call to activate and verify your account.

Tele-verification was not exactly smooth on this phone. At first I decided to dial the helpline number from my regular number, because I just wanted the 4G LTE data to be activated. Even though I did so, the activation message came quite late. Then I decided to dial the 1977 helpline from the Lyf smartphone to activate both voice and data service. For the longest time, I could not get through, and the phone would not connect.

[Image: reliancejio_speedtest_22.jpg]

My call for activation did get connected, but only in the evening. Thankfully, the tele-verification went off quite smoothly. I asked the customer representative how long it would take to get a message confirming the number was active, and he cautioned it might take some time. However, the message came through pretty quickly on my other mobile number and I found I could make calls via the phone.

In my own use case, this phone has come as the internet constant and so far it has delivered. The Flame 6 phone has since then become a hotspot in my home, with my iPhone and I following this dedicately. I’ve even been taking it to office where WiFi is patchy at times and requires signing-in every ten minutes. The Reliance Lyf smartphone with its Jio SIM is delivering quite well. The speeds I’m getting in my Noida office are around 18 to 16 mbps. Since I’m constantly setting up new phones, where a lot of data usage is required, this Lyf phone comes as a god-send. For example: Asphalt 8’s 1GB worth of extra files data was downloaded in a flat five minutes, which is impressive to say the least. Usually, when I’m setting up a new phone, it takes me forever.

The Jio SIM did not disappoint me either during travel in the metro or an during a three-hour train to Chandigarh either. I fully expected the LTE to disconnect and the internet to stop working in the train, but that didn’t happen. I could load Facebook, download songs on Apple Music, even Twitter was not such a pain. If such quality of services continue post roll-out, I can see a lot of people lining up to get this. Especially someone like my husband, who travels weekly for work in a train and needs constant connectivity in order to stay in touch with his clients and his office.

The Reliance Jio SIM and Lyf phone are, of course, not perfect. There are times when the internet does disconnect, or a call won’t connect. The speeds do fluctuate, and yes on this phone the battery runs out pretty quickly thanks to the fact that this is being used a WiFi hotspot continuously. But for someone like me, the biggest advantage with the Jio SIM is that as a backup, it is doing much more than a good job. I’d say, it’s doing a great job of keeping me connected, at speeds which are better than what more of the competition offers. And frankly, that’s what a lot of people want at the moment.

Source:
Advertisement
As i said now a days many r opting Jio low priced Handsets for Data and other free Offers.. they r getting the value for money surely...
1 solution for draing battery fast is .. Connecting a Power Bank will solve the issue while the Phone is in Hotspot mode...
Mine SIM was activated in a day itself... yes it depend on certain areas...
Thanks given by:
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General News: Reliance Jio Rs 149 revised prepaid plan: Comparison with Airtel and Vodafone plans nairrk 0 134 11-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  General News: Reliance Jio All-In-One Plans Start at Rs 222 Which Includes Bundled Non-Jio Calls nairrk 0 119 10-21-2019, 06:30 PM
  General News: Reliance Jio eliminates two Sachet Packs for prepaid customers: All you need to know nairrk 0 111 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM
  General News: Reliance Jio introduces 30 mins of free talktime to compensate customers nairrk 0 113 10-12-2019, 07:05 PM
  General News: Reliance Jio will now charge 6 paise per minute for calls to other networks nairrk 0 117 10-10-2019, 01:41 PM
  General News: Airtel, Vodafone postpaid plans nearly twice as expensive as Reliance Jio nairrk 0 299 07-19-2019, 09:11 AM
  General News: Reliance Jio 'Digital Udaan' program launched for first-time Internet users nairrk 0 186 07-04-2019, 09:49 AM
  General News: Reliance Jio Effect: Airtel 4G Hotspot plan now comes with up to 126GB data benefit nairrk 0 316 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM
  General News: Reliance Jio extends Prime membership for a year for all existing members nairrk 0 231 05-13-2019, 12:30 PM
  General News: Reliance Jio introduces Rs 251 Cricket Data prepaid recharge with 2GB daily data nairrk 0 395 04-12-2019, 06:32 PM