Advertisement

Advertisement

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.71 Average
With The Help Of bionic eye's Blind man regains sight after 30 years
Advertisement
[Image: Eye-bionic.jpg]
In a ray of hope for millions of those who cannot see, a blind man, who underwent a"bionic eye" implant trial at a British hospital, has partially regained vision thirty years after losing his sight.

Peter Lane (51) from Stretford is one of the 32 people who participated in an international trial of'bionic eye'at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital earlier this year.

Peter, who lost his sight to a degenerative genetic disease in his mid-twenties, can now read simple words with the help of the implant. The device allows him to see the outline of objects as a series of dots of lights and helps him in reading also, Daily Mail reported.

"It was an amazing feeling after not being able to see anything to be seeing letters and words on a special screen. I was there reading dad, mat, cat," Peter said."I'm just reading small words at the moment and they (doctors) try us with smaller letters each time. It's a start and they've said they will get me a screen so I can read at home," he said.

Peter said now he feels more confident and independent when he goes out.

The implant uses a camera mounted on spectacles to send wireless signals to nerves that control sight. The brain then decodes the image. It was developed by an American company and is being pioneered by just 11 doctors worldwide.

Paulo Stanga, a consultant ophthalmologist said,"The patients are progressing much faster than we at first thought. This is certainly very encouraging for both the patient and the scientific community.""But a lot of work still needs to be carried out," Stanga said.
Source: PTI

Thanks given by:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ship found in Arctic after 162 years Mr.Bhat 0 826 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Miracle or Myth: Indian Man has survived 70 years without food & water Sathish 1 780 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Tamilan
  First Leprosy Case in History is 4,000 Years Old Mr.Bhat 0 840 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Mr.Bhat
  Love at First Sight Means 8.2 Seconds of Eye Contact Sathish 0 1,043 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Sathish